Feliway spray

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Rosiepix2010
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Feliway spray

Post by Rosiepix2010 »

I posted on here awhile ago about pixie and his non stop crying to go out the front and refusing to use the cat flap at the back door. At the time I thought he'd been hurt by another cat but as we have had a fox and her 4 cubs in the garden I'm guessing that he was attacked by the fox protecting her cubs. Well the crying is continuing , mainly very early morning and late evening. I have taken him to the vet for a check up and he's physically fit. The vet advised me to try feliway a spray which I collected today. He said to put it on a cloth and wipe over pixies face but I'm a bit worried about doing this as it says not to use directly on the cat. Pix has got FIV so am very wary about using anything that may cause problems. Typically the vet is closed half day today so can't get advice at the moment. Anyone got any experience of using the spray in this way?
Thanks
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Feliway spray

Post by Kay »

I always spray a towel in Trigger's cat carrier with Feliway before he goes in it, and he then lies on the towel, and there have been no ill effects - on the contrary - he must get traces on his coat, but he doesn't lick them off, or if he does it is not until we get back from the vet

also I found this post on an American site 'My boyfriend, friend and I rescued my cat Rufus from an urban beach near Boston. We quickly realized he had some issues adjusting to life as an indoor cat. He wasn't neutered when we got him, but even after the procedure he continued to mark (although not nearly as often as before). He was very spastic and a little unpredictable. He's always had a big personality, but he was kind of uncontrollable. We bought Feliway to try and see if the pheremones could do anything to calm him down, and I gotta say, it made an impact. He's about 2 now, but he still gets really worked up and marks at the most, once a month. So if he gets overly riled up or looks like he's going to mark, we spray some Feliway around the area, and even spray some on a paper towel and wipe his jaw and head area. That way he can't lick the area, but still gets the scent of the product. It definitely mellows him out enough to take a breather, and usually keeps him from marking. I'd definitely recommend Feliway. It might not completely stop your cat's tendency to mark, but it will definitely help.'
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Feliway spray

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Hi.

I always use Feliway in Dora's carrier before we go anywhere and have 3 or 4 plug in Feliway units located around the house, and a spare refill in her drawer. These are only turned on if I know there's going to be a stressful situation I.e if I have work being done in the house or friends visiting with children.

I certainly think it makes a difference to Dora but every cat is different. I've never tried rubbing it on her but she certainly lays in it in her carrier with no adverse effects.

There are some furbabe parents that use rescue remedy applied directly to their cats neck/shoulders to calm them. I've never tried this but I'm sure someone will reply to your post who has more experience than myself.