Is it the end of the journey

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Is it the end of the journey

Post by geckodiva »

My 20 year old girl Tat looks to have taken a turn for the worst.
She has stopped eating and drinking and looks very much like her sister did earlier in the year when she passed away from kidney failure.
Tat has hyperthyroidism which had started to affect her kidney function. We went to the vet yesterday and they put her on fluids and she had a bit to eat so when they said we could pick her up I thought she was on the mend (from just an upset tummy or something). They didn't do blood tests, I think they have assumed kidney failure. I feel like they have given up on her due to her age and ailments.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Is it the end of the journey

Post by bobbys girl »

Very sorry to hear that. This is how we were a year ago with Thomas. You are in my thoughts as I send all good vibes your way. Fusses to Tat.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

All I can say is that when the time has come for any of mine it has been obvious, not interested in food or water (and in one case not even bothering to use a litter tray, just lying on wet bedding), and more importantly not really interested in the life going on around them. If she is still interested in life, having a cuddle and all that type of thing then go back to your vet and ask, or insist about more tests. If it seems that the life has gone from her eyes and from her then give her one last cuddle and let her go.

It is so hard to do (and even writing this has me in tears) but at least we don't need to let them suffer if the time has come. Give her a fuss from me, and I am sure what ever you decide will be the best option for her.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Sorry, it is hard, but I can't think of a better way of putting it than Ruth already has.
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by geckodiva »

The spark has gone from her. She can only now manage a slight purr when I fuss her. We have an appointment first thing tomorrow when she will be pts. I hope she doesn't start to suffer too much overnight or we will have to use the emergency vet service. She has always been my baby girl this is going to be so hard.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

So sorry. Thinking of you.

Sue xx
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

Very sad. Will be thinking of you tomorrow morning. As Mark says, Ruth has put it very well.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Gentle hugs to your little girl Tat xx
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Everyone has said what I would say. Tough time. Thinking of you & Tat. Vivian
OHWS
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by OHWS »

Last edited by OHWS on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

So sorry to hear this :cry:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so very sorry, but it sounds as though you have made entirely the right decision for your lovely girl. Thinking of you. (((hugs)))
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

So very sad for you. 20 is a grand age to reach for any cat and I hope, when the grief subsides, it will help to realise that you must have cared and looked after Tat extremely well for her to reach that age. Thinking of you.

Jan x
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by geckodiva »

So we let little Tat go this morning. :cry:
Last night when I got in from work she was actually pleased to see me. She stumbled to me and had a big purr and wanted a fuss and cuddle. She showed some interest in food and water but didn't take any. I continued to syringe small amounts of water into her mouth the rest of the night. Although she was more alert than the previous day ultimately we knew that she would not recover enough to be comfortable. Just glad she didn't get worse and suffer more.
I was there when she was born and held her until she was gone at the end. She had a good and happy life and I'll never forget all the cuddles we had.
20161112_102021_opt.jpg
20161112_102021_opt.jpg (27.12 KiB) Viewed 5702 times
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by geckodiva »

And, thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. It's good to be able to express how I feel with people who understand.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I am sorry to hear it was the end, but glad that she didn't suffer. A good life and a quiet sleep at the end is the best any off us can hope for.

You will miss her, there is no doubt of that but the good memories will outweigh the sad ones, and maybe, when the time is right, another little furball will be waiting to help fill the gap.

My thoughts are with you, i have been there enough times to know how hard it is.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

RIP sweet little Tat, you will be sorely missed by your humans.

Thinking of you geckodiva xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Must have been tough, it sounds like you did her proud. She was a lucky girl to have you - to be loved and cherished like that for her whole life really counts for something. I hope you can find some comfort in that.

Rest in peace little Tat, such a sweet cat. xx
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

I really feel for you, geckodiva. I was going to write 'so sorry that little Tat passed away', but I don't actually feel sorry about that. It was time for your poor dear Tat to go, and she went peacefully. I empathise with you, though. It's a good two years since my beloved Blake died in my arms, and it was the hardest decision I've ever had to make in my life. But he went very quickly and peacefully. He was ready, and so was Tat, by the sound of it.
You loved her from day one until the very end and you did the very best for her - nobody could ask for more.
Wishing you strength.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Geckodiva just want you know (((hugs))) be kind to yourself - you did Tat proud & we'll all see you & Tat at that very busy & crowded "Rainbow Bridge". And bet it's our fur babes who do the introductions! Rest assured heaps of support here. Vivian
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by issiandarchie+68 »

Big warm virtual hugs heading your way Geckodiva. It's never easy making that final decision, but your intense love and compassion for Tat shines through, you put her welfare before your own desire to keep her,afforded her a peaceful passing. I love the photo of the wee darling, gorgeous cat.

Issi
xx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Very very sorry to hear. No matter how old or ill they are, there is never a right time to lose them and even if it's a relief to know they're no longer in discomfort the loss is awful. Hold on to the fact that you gave her a lifetime of love and care. Hugs to you Geckodiva, and sleep tight little Tat x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I can't add anything to what has already been said. ((HUGS)) to you. RIP little Tat, 'til we meet again.

Sue xx