Is ringworm often mistaken for a cut?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Is ringworm often mistaken for a cut?

Post by emmab »

Grany has developed a small graze on the back of his neck which in turn has led to him scratching it occasionally and then a bald patch developing. At first I thought it was a small cut from the garden but today looks more red with a scab on top and more fur missing. I am starting to think it may be ring worm? Has anyone else made this mistake as I am not sure if they look similar? I will need to take him to a vet tomorrow as we are going on holiday on Wednesday. He has been on Royal Canin gastro diet for 4 weeks now.mI know food alergies can cause thisntype of thing?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Is ringworm often mistaken for a cut?

Post by Kay »

Tiffany got a bald sore patch on her neck when I used to have her vaccinated - each year it got worse so in the end the vet advised not vaccinating her any more

she also loses fur and develops sores above her eyes when she has certain kinds of fishy food

I once had a cat with ringworm and don't remember any sores developing - but I think you will find lots of images if you google it
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Hmmm tricky one isn't it Kay? He is well but keeps scratching it which I think is making is a little red. We are off on holiday on Wednesday but typically don't want our neighbour worrying about it. Think he has just worn the fur there. I did bath it this morning with some salt water just to keep it clean but not sure if by bathing it is making him lick it even more. It is in the place you would expect a sore from scraping himself under a gate. Also he had his worming etc on his neck 3 weeks ago but would of thought that would of flared up before now.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (45.95 KiB) Viewed 3503 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (45.95 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (38.52 KiB) Viewed 3505 times
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

If you have a UV/black lamp or torch it will show up ringworm as many of the spores fluoresce under it. That looks to me a bit like one of my cats that used to react to flea bites in small scabby areas around the head and neck, but it could easily just be a scrape. Just keep an eye on it.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

How can you torch it? We do not have a UV lamp but have a torch, I have had a close look at it with a torch but not sure what I am looking for? Thanks Crewella
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Sorry, I meant a UV/black light torch. Some people have them for checking bank notes or security markers.

This might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5j_B7yboY4
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Hmmm, sounds like a trip to the vets to get it checked. I presume they have UV lights? If we weren't going away I would sit tight for a few days but peace of mind and all that. Thanks Crewella, shame we don't have one!
Jane

Post by Jane »

My cat suffers flea allergy, and she’s also prone to sores which look a bit like that on her neck if she’s not flead and wormed regularly, it’s hard to tell on a photo though. A trip to the vets is probably a good idea.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

I deflead amd wormed him 3 weeks ago 2 weeks after adoption but don't like profender as it is a spot on and I think does not go on very well. I have just bought some wormer tablets of a different type from the vets for the next time. As for fleas he has frontline but has the same problem being a spot on. Does your cats lose his fur too from scratching or licking? The other cat Gemo has spot on too and thought he had worms a couple of weeks ago so do doubt these spot on treatments.
Jane

Post by Jane »

If she’s flead and wormed regularly she doesn’t seem to get them. She has Advocate once a month in the warmer weather otherwise they they can cause her to scratch and bleed and she has to wear a collar.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Hmm cannot really give her any more atm as it was only 3 weeks ago for both.
PS...have just read that Frontline can cause a rash and loss of hair at site of treatment which is where the rash is. Does that mean Frontline may not be good for him? They are all spot on though aren't they? On looking at the links for frontline allergy problems, I would say this is what he has!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

There is a tablet flea treatment, but it's not common in the UK, so not sure if you can get it in France, it's called Comfortis
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

To confirm those photos are a reaction to Frontline not ringworm.