Clingy cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Emmalou22
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Clingy cat

Post by Emmalou22 »

I've got two kittens both siblings a year old.
Lottie the oldest of the two is concerning me a little with her behaviour.
She is very clingy and more often than not we always trip over her as she's always under our feet. Only yesterday it was that bad I tripped over her falling into the tv.
When we walk she runs and gets in between your feet, walking through your feet as you walk, she's constantly meowing, even if I've already fed her.
The other kitten isn't too bothered and will just get on with it but Lottie is very demanding and I just don't know what to do? We've got her booked in at the vet but what do you guys think?
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Clingy cat

Post by Diana »

To be honest I dont see anything wrong other then her being a normal kitten. Some cats will meow for no reason other then to say I Am here. My Shelly who is round nine years old can often get in the way, tangling herself round her feet...we are used to it. Also my Evie...she oftens follows me around and the ony reason is to get cuddles.

You have to be careful with a young little one walking around and keep an extra eye out.
Emmalou22
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Emmalou22 »

I try to give her cuddles but she doesn't like being picked up at all and struggles to get away even climbing over our shoulders to do so. I put it down to her just being a kitten too but she's just so overwhelming none of my other cats were ever like that
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Hi there.

Dora is an indoor girl and an only cat. There is just me & her at home. She is 6 years young and has been with me since she was 12 weeks old.

Dora does exactly the same as Lottie! Admittedly not ALL the time but most of the time if I leave the room she follows me chattering away. If I go upstairs she comes with me, if I come downstairs she races along beside me. I frequently tell her she'll make me go whatsit over whatsit one day!!

She will be in whichever room I am in. She sleeps with me - by choice and has done every night since I bought her home. In the colder months she lifts the duvet and gets under, curls up with me and gently chatters away while I huggle her against me and make a fuss until she starts to snore. She stays beside me like this all night.

She will also take herself off sometimes and do her own thing but as soon as I move from the sofa or get up to do something she is beside me. I laughingly say that she is my little helper. She follows me whilst I do the housework, is there with me if there's any DIY to be done, flat pack stuff to build, presents to wrap, cards to write etc etc etc!

I also know she copes fine when I'm out of the house. She has lots if toys, games and scratch posts and I know she plays when she's on her own as things have moved when I get home.

I know I'm rambling but what I'm saying is please don't think there's anything wrong with Lottie. If she's toileting, eating, playing, washing etc then just enjoy that she clearly loves her mummy and enjoys your company as much as you enjoy hers & your other furbabe.
Emmalou22
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Emmalou22 »

That is exactly what Lottie does, she follows me everywhere it is very frustrating and makes me a bit emotional sometimes as it upsets me how full on she is and when I trip over her etc. she even sits outside the toilet for scratching until I come out xx
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Awww bless her. As Shelly said...please don't be alarmed. Cats are fiercely independent yet some adore company and want to be round them most of the time. It may seem to be much, but honestly I can't imagine there is anything wrong with her, she loves your company and wants to be near you.