Metrobactin

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Metrobactin

Post by emmab »

Little Grany has been put onto Metrobactin long term to try and help with his tummy inflamation and diarrhea. Has anyone any experience of this medication on their cats? Just wondering what effects it has made on cats. thanks in advance
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Metrobactin

Post by Crewella »

I don't know Metrobactin but I looked it up and it seems to be primarily Metronidazole, which is a very common antibiotic. Several of my cats have had it over the years with success and no issues.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Has the vet suggested probiotics? Has he been tested for Guardia?
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

I am not sure. He was a probable FIP but both aspirations came back normal (negative) which was a relief. He is having a biopsy of his tummy lymph nodes on the 30th Nov to see what they show. He did have some fluid in his tummy but was not enough to aspirate when they did his lymph nodes. There was even less last week after his second ecograph which is good. His weight was around 3.6 when we adopted him but he had lost some weight before adoption too. He is 3.0 now hence why he needs high calorie food and my panic to keep him eating. With a delicate tummy I have to be careful he doesn't just eat anything. The vets are stumped with him but he could well of had a virus in his tummy hence his metrobactin. I think there is more to it and not sure what difference I should be seeing from the metrobactin. He has been on it for 5 days now.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Probiotics might help, especially as he is on antibiotics.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

If you have had similar issues with cats tummies do you notice any weight loss? We are still in early days with Grany and trying to understand his ways, eating etc. He is not playful and likes to sit quietly although EVERY time we go into the kitchen he is there! He is a scavanger for the good food!p which reasures me, even though he is a little quiet.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

emmab wrote:If you have had similar issues with cats tummies do you notice any weight loss? We are still in early days with Grany and trying to understand his ways, eating etc. He is not playful and likes to sit quietly although EVERY time we go into the kitchen he is there! He is a scavanger for the good food!p which reasures me, even though he is a little quiet.
If he’s a “scavenger for the good food” give him that :) what is the good food?
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Well tuna for starters which is not good for cats! I would rather get him onto a diet we can manage without having to rules our life around his eating. Even short breaks away with a neighbour coming in are tricky atm as he will miss out on what he shoudl be eating and Gemo will be getting even bigger!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

emmab wrote:Well tuna for starters which is not good for cats! I would rather get him onto a diet we can manage without having to rules our life around his eating. Even short breaks away with a neighbour coming in are tricky atm as he will miss out on what he shoudl be eating and Gemo will be getting even bigger!
I thought you meant a good quality food. Tuna is usually ok, once or twice a week if it’s not in brine and I often rinse any tinned fish I give mine anyway in case of salt.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

ha ha, well the good food was Royal Canin gastro, so high calorie.mFor eg tonight he has wet felix and has turned his nose up at it! This is what I have to contend with. I cannot leave anything too pallatable down after we go to bed as Gemo eats it. So I then leave down Iams which he ate OK for the first week but after that not at all.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Crewella wrote:I don't know Metrobactin but I looked it up and it seems to be primarily Metronidazole, which is a very common antibiotic. Several of my cats have had it over the years with success and no issues.
Did you see any noticeable differences and if so how and did it take long to kick in?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Like pretty much all ABs, took about 2-3 days to start seeing a difference and it's important to follow the whole course.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Well I haven't seen any noticeable difference after 5 days but not sure what I should be looking for. He poops outside so never see how his poo is...apart from that his weight is the same so not sure what to expect. The vet has recommended he stays on them indefinately,
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Well no diarrhea for Grany atm. Maybe this metrobactin is working? Vet has advised he remains on this indefinately. I wish I could see some more noticeable improvement. Vet thinks this may help reduce his enlarged lymph nodes if he has had a virus or parasite problem in his gut. I am having problems sourcing it. Being in France the vet gives me a prescription and I take it to the pharmacy but they can only source a similar brand but tablets do not break into quarters. Metrobactin is easily snapped as Grany has 3/4 per day. I am getting them from a vet each month but not sure if this is normally more expensive.