Feral wont leave

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Bugsy
New Cat Chatter

Feral wont leave

Post by Bugsy »

I adopted three totally feral adult cats for rodent control at my farm. I already had a colony of five friendly spayed and neutered cats that have lived there for as long as 2-8 years. I acclimated the three feral cats in two large seperate cages in a horse stall. Two cats together in one cage and one in another. These three cats were adopted from a humane society. After almost three weeks of acclimation the cats were let loose. Two of the cats immediately took off. One of the cats (marshmellow) would not leave the cage. After the second day Marshmellow left the cage but will not leave the stall and hides in the corner all day. She comes out to eat when nobody is around. I have things in the stall for her to hide in and also for the other two ferals if they want to hide or sleep in when they come back to eat. The other two ferals are wild. They do not like people and constantly hissed and had the wild look the whole time during acclimation if people were around. Marshmellow always stayed inside her box and just looked at you. I find it strange that a supposedly feral cat does not want to go outside. Is this normal behavior or is it possible this cat may not be a feral and was use to one person or family and acts stand offish with strangers. I can get close to her and she doesnt run. I am thinking about trying to make physical contact with her but am unsure. It has been over four days that she has had the opportunity to leave and she wont. I have contacted the humane society to double check that they are certain she was a feral but they have not contacted me back.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Feral wont leave

Post by Kay »

it may well be she was once owned and abandoned, or got lost, and took to the feral life out of necessity - I don't see how the Humane Society would be able to tell the background of the cats they trap for certain

it does sound as if Marshmallow is unwilling to take her chances again in the wider world, which may indicate struggles in her past, but she will have learnt not to trust strangers, so you will have to be patient with her, and let her come to you at her own pace

it can be very rewarding to bring round a cat with a troubled past, and I wish you luck with her
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I agree with Kay, it sounds like she may not be a 'feral' more of a stray. If you want to win her over, I'd try it with food. When you feed her hang around, getting closer as she starts to trust you.

When Tommy first came to us he was like that. It got to the point where He didn't get fed unless he let me stroke him. After that, it wasn't long before he his spot on the sofa! :) Although you might not want her to be THAT tame, I think food is the way to go.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree with the others, though it could also be that she's just a naturally more timid cat and will take longer to 'get her bearings' in a new environment.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Yes, I second everyone's comments, and also, I've had ferals who've just decided to move in and become house cats. It does take time and patience (areas to avoid at first I've found are head and stomach but they may allow strokes on their backs and tails, especially if they've come and headbutted your legs first. If the cat turns round and bats you, just keep your hand still and say 'no' quietly, then withdraw, and tell the cat she's a good girl. Lots of reassurance and gentle talking is good, and as has been said, food is a big factor too.)

It's an incredibly heartwarming experience when a 'wild' cat decides it feels safe with you and I wonder if Marshmellow is one of these. Good luck with her and please do let us know how you go on with her :)