Do all younger cats play?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Do all younger cats play?

Post by emmab »

We need to have a better understanding of our cats behaviour and as a new adoption we know he has been or is unwell of some degree. We know his eating is not great but do all cats of around 2 years old play? Grany doesn't and know an underlying illness may be to blame but he prefers to stay indoors with us apart from going out for a poop. He does not always sleep but likes being comfortable indoors although when we head for the kitchen at meal times always follows us hoping for treats. Question is can cats just be quiet because of past experiences or if a cat doesn't play at all mean a sign something is wrong? he likes a piece of string and is alert to everything but does not leap around or have a mad 5 minutes like most cats do?? Gemo has chased him in the garden so we know he can move if he wants to. He acts like a cat of an older age rather than a youngster.
Joaobeneditosimoes
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Do all younger cats play?

Post by Joaobeneditosimoes »

How long do you have him? Cats with 2 year old are teenagers, so i believe they enjoy much playing. Have you tried differents toys? I have 2 cats and they are very different with playing with toys. Try as much as possible and different ways. One of my cat loves very thin strings, he freaks out about that. The other cat doesn't care about that. Catnip is very funny for one of my cats. It can also be his personality...
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

We adopted him about 6 weeks ago. By all accounts he was taken in to the refuge by a family after he bit a child. He has not bitten us, only playful nipping. I think he may have been with young children teasing him. He has had a few trips to the vet which hasn't helped his confidence. He does occasionally grab some string but it is a very half hearted effort. His pupils dilate when he is watching a toy as though he may play but doesn't bother.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi, the answer's yes, but Grany's had a rough time by the sound of it before he came to you, and since then he's been ill, and after 5 weeks he'll be still settling in. Looks like he's coming out of his shell sometimes though, and with increased appetite and health I reckon he'll be a lot more outgoing and playful once he finds his paws so to speak. My naughtiest cat, who wasn't traumatised at all, was a meek little angel when she first arrived ...a few weeks later she turned into a devil-kitten and still can be at 5. She is an extreme case though; many cats are much more sedate; it's as Joao says, a question of personality and you're probably not seeing much of Grany's true personality yet.

I think with time he will get there :)
Last edited by Lilith on Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joaobeneditosimoes
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Joaobeneditosimoes »

I guess your cat spent time with kids that probably teased him or did somethig to harm him...
Cats don't attack unless they are threatened.
Six weeks its too soon and with time your cat will get more attached to your family. All you got to do is read your cat. To know when he wants his space, affection, favourite toys, favourite food, etc. Cats are routined animals and have different personality from each other. I have 2 and they are the opposite, which is great because we have a bit of everything.
Good luck with your feline, its all about the love we give to them!
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Ahh thank you. Reassuring words. He has had to overcome Gemo eating his food too and that has been disruptive to him as we have had to move his food and try new things, I had to sign a disclaimer when we adopted him which said he bites but he does a playful nip but you cannot call it a bite. I expect the kid though it was a bite and then they decided to get rid of him! Makes me mad! Even as humans we defend ourselves in one way or another if we feel threatened.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

I reckon the same, All cats are different and a lot depends on their background and what they’ve been through as well as getting used to the other cats in the home. If all is well I reckon that he will eventually settle down and come out of his shell a bit more, but may always be a quietish cat.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Give him time, he might yet surprise you. Cats can decide to be playful at any age. You only have to watch 13 year old Willow chasing her tail or getting under the hearth rug and moving it around the room while the others look on! :lol: She was quite a 'cool' kitten and was snooty about playing with anything other than the ringy-things from milk 'bottle' tops - and even then, not when we were watching. We could just hear her crashing up and down the hall.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

My Daz arrived as a terrified trapped stray tom cat, aged about 5. It took him ages to gain confidence and I didn't see him play at all for several years ..... until he suddenly got a taste for chasing poor old Grumpy Nellie! Even then, the only play I saw was him chasing the other cats, and it took about four years before I saw him play with a mousie - probably because he still hunts so burns off a lot of energy that way, but he does play sometimes now, bless him. For ages, if I tried any sort of toy with him he looked worried, as if wondering why I was brandishing some sort of weapon at him. He now loves to get me to 'chase' him round the lawn when I get home from work! :D