CKD Stage 2

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
pricey42
Frequent Cat Chatter

CKD Stage 2

Post by pricey42 »

Hello, I was wanting some advice about my cat Murray.

He's a 12 year old British Blue and is like a child to me! Over the weekend he became extremely lethargic. I took him to the vets and after tests was told he had chronic kidney disease with possibly an acute infection too.

He was on fluids and for the first 24 hours it didnt look good at all. I had a call to say he wasnt eating and I started to think about having him put to sleep. I was devastated at this - couldnt go to work, kept crying. Then they called to say he was eating! I decided to carry on his treatment and after visiting him there was no way I could put him to sleep.

Anyway, his tests kept improving and I took him home yesterday and he's at mid stage 2 CKD.

I'm a nervous wreck now he's home! I want to do all i can for him but he seems quiet and not his self. Is this to be expected after leaving the vets and being quite thin? Has this just knocked him for 6? He is eating about a third of the pouch of food they've given me, cleaning his self, using the scratch pole but seems very tired.

It would be great if anyone could give me advice of their cat having stage 2?

Many thanks in advance!

Hannah
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: CKD Stage 2

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Hannah,

sorry to hear about Murray, it must have been a shock to hear the news. It sounds very similar to when we first found out about our Tommy.

He had been losing weight and was very tired. That was February last year. We thought we would lose him very soon after. But he bumped along for quite a while before going down all of a sudden last Christmas. He was very ill at first but picked up and had a good summer with us.

At no time did our vet mention at what 'stage' he was, so I can't advise you about that. There is no cure but it is managable and there is no reason you can't give your lad a good life for some time still.

It can be controlled with special diet, but we reached the point where Tommy got whatever he wanted. I would rather him eat something he liked than force him to eat something he hated. He did like his meat (he once pinched half a roast duck I'd left to cool, but I couldn't be cross with him) Another thing he liked was tinned sardines. He got his meds in a syringe, only because he couldn't be trusted to take them any other way!

Good luck with your boy. Please keep in touch.
pricey42
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by pricey42 »

Thank you for replying! Sorry about your boy too. It's very upsetting and yes a complete shock.

I feel more stressed now he's home but I think I'm watching his every move and looking for bad signs.

I've been told hydration is very important but how do you monitor that? He also seems hungry but they've said to keep him on the renal diet but he doesn't eat a lot of that and tends just to lick the gravy. He then goes to his sisters food in the other room, pushes her out of the way and eats that! I've ready something is better than nothing but am worried I'm going against advice from the vets!

I'm such a wreck about it!!! And as your boy was, mine is going to be totally spoiled from now on!

Xxx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Tommy wasn't too struck on the renal diet either. If we went out for Sunday lunch, one of us had to have the beef (local pub was very generous with the servings) we always came home with roast beef and Tommy wolfed it down.

We have a small, raised pond outside the back door, Tom would drink from that rather than tap water. You might find rainwater goes down better than tap.

Fusses to Murray.
pricey42
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by pricey42 »

Hello, this morning he doesn't want to eat. Even his sisters food :cry: he's sat next to a running tap and he seems sad.

I'm going to ring the vets and talk to them. I don't want him to be miserable.

Having pets is so hard :cry:
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

When we had our first elderly cat with CKD the vet gave us some food to take and try but our cat didn’t like it at all. The vet told us that it was much more important they he ate something so we continued with his normal food. We did try mixing the two together first but it didn’t work. Poor Tommy I bet he’s a bit stressed out with it all too which won’t help. Sending snuggles and I hope he starts to feel better soon.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

It is said on here 'better a day too soon, than a day too late', but don't give up just yet. When Tom was first diagnosed he was quite 'gloomy' and down, but he did perk up quite a bit and we had a lovely last summer with him. He was closer and more cuddly than he had ever been.

One day, he was sitting in a beam of sunshine with his eyes closed. He looked so happy I decided to take a photo of him. Just as I focused on him, he heard a noise, jumped up and ran off to investigate. It was a lousy photo, but I kept it to remind me that up to the end, he was a happy cat.

My sister nearly lost her cat, Yowlee, to antifreeze poisoning. He was a young, strong cat at the time and that must have been in his favour. But he was not eating and was very lethargic. The nurse at the vets said she had seen remarkable recoveries with cats fed with Tesco chicken roll. Our initial thought was 'yuk' and as it is full of salt/flavourings and general cxxp we thought, surely not! But, just like most fast foods, quite addictive.

Having nothing to lose, she tried him with some. His nose twitched, he dragged himself to his feet and wandered over and wolfed the lot. After that he got his appetite back and several years on, he is on a renal diet and meds, but he is still a happy, active cat.

Is there some treat that he really likes? It might be worth a try - to 'kick start' his system. I hope he turns around and you get to spend a liitle more quality time with him.
pricey42
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by pricey42 »

I've made an appointment with the vets for 4.30 but will go home at lunchtime and see how he is. I'm going to buy some tuna in spring water and tesco chicken roll! I've read about that on a few different sites actually!

I feel so sad for him, I'm just heartbroken. The looks he is giving me is so sad :cry:

Thank you for your support xxx
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Hope all goes well for Murry. I keep saying this but little tins of Gourmet pates have always been a winner with mine and naughty bit of packet ham is usually well liked to tempt them until their appetite comes back.
Last edited by Janey on Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Janey - Tommy was my cat.

Hope you don't mind me posting this pic. It was taken in August last year. I had just given Tom and Bob some roast chicken. As you can see, Tom had finished his and was contemplating pinching the little Bob had left.
rsz_027(6).jpg
Hope Murray picks up. Give him a fuss from me. I'll be thinking about you both this afternoon.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

bobbys girl wrote:Janey - Tommy was my cat.
Yes sorry, I realised and was editing it just as you was typing to let me know bobbys girl, thanks.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

I'm sorry to hear that Murray is poorly. Did your vet tell you anything about his phosphorus levels?

We have two 19 year old cats with CKD and hyperthyroidism. A few months ago they were both very poorly and not eating, and had to be hospitalised so that they could have fluids. The vet did blood tests and saw that both had high phosphorus. She prescribed Alu-Cap, an aluminium phosphorus binder which has made a huge difference. They both have big appetites again.

A Vitamin B12 injection can sometimes be of benefit too.

I hope Murray perks up.
pricey42
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by pricey42 »

Hi ladies,

Back from vets. He's not dehydrated and has put on weight since leaving hospital. He seems to be constipated so they've given me medicine for that and an appetite stimulant.

She said tonight to try some more food. As soon as we got home he was hungry and has eaten quite a lot! :P but I think it's the tablet that's worked.

So I've got to wait and see again now. I'm hoping this kick starts his appetite now. I feel so drained! I'm definitely having a glass or 3 of wine tonight!

Xxx
pricey42
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by pricey42 »

Also I did ask about the alu cap and she said his phosphate level was OK so it wasn't needed but thank you marla x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

That's sounding very promising. I hope he continues to improve. :D
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

That’s great news, hopefully he will feel even better after a good old munch :)
pricey42
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by pricey42 »

Thank you, I really hope so.

What a lovely forum this is. All of your comments have really helped :)

Hannah xxx
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

Only just seen this thread ... caught my eye because our Blackie has early stage CKD and fully understand the shock and upset at being told a beloved cat has this disease for which there is no cure.

Renal food was rejected by our Dark Lord though like Murray he seemed to love the liquid it comes in. Adding a phosphate binder, even though his blood results do not show that level to be out of the normal range seems to have worked well along with giving him his usual food (Felix) along with plenty of added warmed water mixed in with it. The vet we see thinks his urine protein/creatinine level is the most important marker for signs of deterioration in his kidney function. 18 months after being given the news that he had early stage CKD he is still going strong - glossy coat, bright eyes and a big appetite,

Very pleased that Murray has perked up ... long may it stay that way.
pricey42
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by pricey42 »

Hi Jan,

It's funny (well not funny but you know what I mean!) you should say about the creatinine level as my vet said about it yesterday. It sounds like Murrays is at quite a bad level. Glad your cat is doing brilliantly. You're so right, the shock has been terrible.

I've got 2 cats, 1 dog, 2 dwarf hamsters and 3 children and I'm just exhausted with it all. And then there's Christmas to deal with!!