Advice needed

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Memememe
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Advice needed

Post by Memememe »

Hi guys hope you have all had a good Xmas just need some advice Amy is now the apple of my eye and are becoming great friends. I need advice on her spot flea treatment she is due this today but have only just realised I've ran out of the last tube I'm going to get another from the vets tomorrow would this be a great detriment? Don't want all the hard work that's it's taken to get rid for them to come back. Thank you for any advice
GitaBooks
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Advice needed

Post by GitaBooks »

I'm so glad things are going well. : )

One day shouldn't make a difference. Fleas can be a real pain!!

Best of luck!
LittlePenBigHeart
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by LittlePenBigHeart »

One day will make no difference at all but it's worth remembering that fleas don't actually live on the pet in the first place. If you've seen fleas in the home then you need to treat the home as well as the cat. If you haven't seen any fleas anywhere recently or flea dirt in the fur then you could actually get a preventative treatment for the cat instead. It's gentler and usually cheaper.
Memememe
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Memememe »

Thank you guys I haven't managed to spot on her yet I've sprayed the house again and put Programme in her food/given her Johnsons 4fleas whilst she has settled she knows when it's spot on time and acts like she's still feral. I didn't realise till it was too late the basket she came with from the adoption place was infested it had taken months and months to sort by spraying myself and getting the house recarpeted and external fumigators just worried they are back. I've got some granules to put in her food for worms just hope they aren't back again
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Johnson flea treatments aren't worth the money unfortunately. You also need to be careful using different types of flea treatment
Memememe
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Memememe »

LittlePenBigHeart wrote:One day will make no difference at all but it's worth remembering that fleas don't actually live on the pet in the first place. If you've seen fleas in the home then you need to treat the home as well as the cat. If you haven't seen any fleas anywhere recently or flea dirt in the fur then you could actually get a preventative treatment for the cat instead. It's gentler and usually cheaper.
Hi what would you suggest?
LittlePenBigHeart
VIP Cat Chatter!

If you're in the US then I'm afraid I can't help but if you're in the UK I'd recommend using the 4Fleas tablet treatments (kills every flea on the pet within 24 hours and is safe to use at the same time as a spot-on treatment like Frontline or Advantage). Then it's worth using the spot-on treatment if you've seen fleas on your cat, and around the house I'd recommend Wipe Out. It's £15.99 a can so it's expensive but it's the best one out there because it is the only one that kills the pupae of the fleas. Cheap sprays only kill the fleas, most of them will kill the fleas and flea eggs, but Wipe Out creates a silicone seal around the pupae so they can't continue the lifecycle. It's also perfectly safe for humans and cats to be around while you're spraying it, which makes it safer than, say, Indorex, which requires every living thing to be removed for 3 hours.

With ALL flea sprays you have to be really careful how you use them because it has a significant impact on the efficacy. You need to hoover right before you spray the floor. You need to spray any flooring, furniture, any bedding the cat uses,and anywhere else the cat regularly goes, including bathroom and kitchen floors. Once everything has been sprayed, you MUST leave it in place for a week at least. The reason for this is that the longer it's down, the more fleas. flea eggs, etc will be affected as you all move around the house. After a week, feel free to hoover.

Once you've done AAAALLLLL that (yes, it's expensive and time-consuming) you can continue to use the spot-on treatments as directed on the packaging.
Memememe
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Memememe »

Thank you I'm in the UK I'll get some of that spray. Not sure it's cause I Hoover the day after when I've been spraying indorex that I just can't stop the awful cycle. I struggle so much putting a spot in as she's still not the friendliest once she can smell the tube being clicked she's off I've only managed to put a drop on her and she ran off most of it was on her fur. Thanks again
Memememe
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Memememe »

LittlePenBigHeart wrote:If you're in the US then I'm afraid I can't help but if you're in the UK I'd recommend using the 4Fleas tablet treatments (kills every flea on the pet within 24 hours and is safe to use at the same time as a spot-on treatment like Frontline or Advantage). Then it's worth using the spot-on treatment if you've seen fleas on your cat, and around the house I'd recommend Wipe Out. It's £15.99 a can so it's expensive but it's the best one out there because it is the only one that kills the pupae of the fleas. Cheap sprays only kill the fleas, most of them will kill the fleas and flea eggs, but Wipe Out creates a silicone seal around the pupae so they can't continue the lifecycle. It's also perfectly safe for humans and cats to be around while you're spraying it, which makes it safer than, say, Indorex, which requires every living thing to be removed for 3 hours.

With ALL flea sprays you have to be really careful how you use them because it has a significant impact on the efficacy. You need to hoover right before you spray the floor. You need to spray any flooring, furniture, any bedding the cat uses,and anywhere else the cat regularly goes, including bathroom and kitchen floors. Once everything has been sprayed, you MUST leave it in place for a week at least. The reason for this is that the longer it's down, the more fleas. flea eggs, etc will be affected as you all move around the house. After a week, feel free to hoover.

Once you've done AAAALLLLL that (yes, it's expensive and time-consuming) you can continue to use the spot-on treatments as directed on the packaging.
Hi is Wipeout in a Red Tin?
LittlePenBigHeart
VIP Cat Chatter!

That's the one.
Memememe
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Memememe »

LittlePenBigHeart wrote:That's the one.