Introducing Older Cat Back into Home w/ New Kitten

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
lbj
New Cat Chatter

Introducing Older Cat Back into Home w/ New Kitten

Post by lbj »

This is what's happening: my boyfriend's cat Dublin stays with my boyfriend's parents over the holidays b/c he's usually traveling around this time of year. She super comfortable there and playful and is usually the same way at my boyfriend's house as well.
In between Thanksgiving and Christmas, when Dublin was at my boyfriend's parent's house, my boyfriend's roommate decided to get a new kitten, Tycho. Tycho was about three to four months old when my boyfriend's roommate got him and he's very playful and intense -- good cat but a little ball of energy. So essentially, Tycho was introduced at a young age into Dublin's space without Dublin being there.
Fast forward to now, Dublin has been reintroduced into the space and she's unhappy and hiding -- hissing at my boyfriend. It's typical for her to hide behind things and sleep, so he wasn't very concerned when that was the first thing she did when she got home from his parent's house. But when she came out and really met Tycho -- she immediately hid again and hissed, which is atypical for her.
My boyfriend has moved Tycho to his roommate's room (who is not yet back from holiday) along with his food, water, and litter, but he's not sure what to do from here. Suggestiong would be super helpful. We would both love to see these cats get along one day.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Introducing Older Cat Back into Home w/ New Kitten

Post by Lilith »

Hi there and welcome :)

Wow, this is complicated, isn't it, especially with them not sharing the same space constantly. There's a very good section on here about introductions:-

http://www.catchat.org/index.php/new-cat-introductions

I'm afraid I tend to be a good deal more slapdash about introducing my own cats, so I won't complicate things by describing my own methods. I think you do learn to rely on your gut reaction as to what feels right - but you're worried sick at the moment.

I do hope they learn to settle down together, love their names :D

All the very very best, and fusses to Dublin and Tycho :)
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Introducing Older Cat Back into Home w/ New Kitten

Post by Mrs Kane »

Hmm quite the conundrum considering all the different houses involved.

I would say (although others might have better opinions) that both cats need to be in the same house for a period of time in order to get used to each other, your boyfriends house to be specific.
Preferably Dublin needs to be in the house longer beforehand so that her scents are fresh and prominent throughout the house. Therefore when Tycho enters he's on the backfoot. This may not be so easy considering he already knows the place but he may be smart enough to recognise he's the beta to Dublin's alpha position if her scent is everywhere.

You said Dublin just hissed at Tycho. Although that's not a perfect start to a relationship it's not the end of the world. And if she's prominent to hiding anyway I wouldn't say she's as fussed as you think, perhaps just annoyed. Although I don't know your cat so you're the best judge of her temper.

A good relationship starts with a good meeting. Is Dublin allowed in ALL rooms of the house or is your roommates room off limits? I would suggest keeping Tycho in the roommates' room (provided he can do that) For a few days, possibly a week. Don't allow him access to the rest of the house, or if you can, block off access so that Tycho and Dublin are aware of each other but don't physically meet.

From there, as Lilith said, go with your gut. I would introduce them slowly and ensure both cats have a safe space to retreat if they don't get on.
A kitten is a hard thing to handle and judging by your post your roommate picked a ringer. If Dublin has been an only cat her whole life there may be a few bumps in the road towards them being amiable towards each other.

The important thing is not to cop out. Constantly moving both cats when trying to introduce them is going to cause a hefty rift and neither cat will know what's going on. Keep firm and try your best. Don't make any sudden changes to their environment. If they ultimately don't get on you'll find out soon. But for now just be patient.

Some people on here swear by diffusers like Feliway to help calm down their cats through dramatic times. I myself have never had to buy it but you could consider it in the first few weeks to see if it calms both cats temperaments.