Cystitis for a week ?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Nettybags
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Cystitis for a week ?

Post by Nettybags »

Hello , had tom at the vets last Saturday night and was given a two week antibiotic injection and cystophan . Pain relief injection .
When I spoke to vet yesterday she said to increase cystophan . He is passing a big wee then going in and out of litter tray several times after that . Is this normal ?
Once he has finished going in and out he's fine . Eating sleeping as normal .

Thanks for any advice ??
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Cystitis for a week ?

Post by Crewella »

I have known a bout of cystitis to last a week or so - I always gave Daz Metacam for pain relief when he had cystitis. Upping the Cystophan should help too. Hope he's better soon. xx
Nettybags
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Nettybags »

Thank you so much he has had cystitis before but never for so long . Tom isn't allowed metacam as he has had to reactions to other drugs they gave him and his kidneys started to fail . Nearly lost him and that is why I'm such a bag of nerves .
He's on buprecare and meowing more then normal vet nurse said he may be high ? My hubby thinks he's doing it for my attention when he's home tom doesn't meow at all ?
Thank you again for replying it's helped a lot .

And soon I will learn how to post photos so you can see my babies . Daz looks really cute x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Daz had many, many bouts of cystitis last year, I know that worried feeling. I've also got cats that can't have Metacam, but luckily Daz isn't one of them. It sounds as though he's nearly over the cystitis, but it's still sore when he pees. Hopefully, that should pass soon. xx

By the way, that's Grumpy Nellie in my avatar, this is Daz:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... 000903.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking forwards to pics of Tom. :)
Nettybags
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Nettybags »

Oh wow Daz is the same colour as Tom but Toms head is a bit more black ..
Just gave vet a wee sample that she said had a little blood not much good sample . She thinks it's stress related cystitis and has given me hypovase. (Sorry my spelling is rubbish)
She said if that doesn't work he will need anti inflammatory but reluctant to do that because of his kidneys .
I have everything crossed that it works have you ever used it on your cats ?

Thanks Annette and Tom
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Yes, Daz was on Hypovase a few times last year - it's a relaxant and it did help Daz. :)

And keep on with the Cystophan - I still give it to Daz (albeit at a lower dose), even though his last bout of cystitis was almost 8 months ago (touch wood). It's good for the bladder, and also has added ingredients to cope with stress.

Hope it works. xx
Nettybags
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Nettybags »

Thank you I was hoping you knew about drug . The vet was lovely wants to try that before having to use steroid or anti inflamortory because of his kidneys .
All your advice has really helped me this is an amazing site being able to get other peoples experiences with there cats , I think my vets think I'm the mad cat lady ... Which may be a little true ( can't have babies ) but would love a big house to fill with cats !!

Thanks x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

There are quite a few 'mad cat ladies' (and gents) on here! :D

The other thing I think has helped Daz is to add water to his food, which helps to flush any irritants through his bladder. Even just adding a teaspoon of water to wet food will help, as will a mainly wet diet.
Nettybags
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Nettybags »

Thank you I will try that .
He's been in and out this morning but asleep now . Hoping pills will work soon .
Thank u x
Nettybags
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Nettybags »

Me again , Tom is on 3rd lot of pills and no change . If I take him back to vets tomorrow they are going to give him a steroid or anti inflamotory .. Has anyone ever let there cat have these with past kidney problems .
Sorry to be a pain x
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Lily has kidney issues and has had cystitis, and still has arthritis, both of which have needed treatment with anti-inflammatories (metacam). We've also used it post-operatively. It's ok if used short term in small doses.
Nettybags
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Nettybags »

Thank you for the reassurance , had to take him back to vets today and they gave him a metacam injection . Since I have nearly lost him twice very nervous about anything I give him .
I'm really hoping it works , he seems a bit quieter and going in litter tray less .
He's still taking hypovase and cystophan so fingers and paws crossed my boy will get better .

Thank you all I will keep you posted x
Nettybags
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Nettybags »

Sorry forgot to ask when lily has metacam do they vets give by injection or do you give her the liquid ? They gave Tom a low dose injection and I was wondering if you knew how long it lasted for ?
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Lily's always been on the liquid, so I have no experience of the injected variety. It's so distressing seeing them like this isn't it. Let's hope this latest treatment does the trick for him. I know how you feel though, I've nearly lost Lily a few times too, so it's hard not to worry even more for them.
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Jan »

Crewella wrote:There are quite a few 'mad cat ladies' (and gents) on here! :D

The other thing I think has helped Daz is to add water to his food, which helps to flush any irritants through his bladder. Even just adding a teaspoon of water to wet food will help, as will a mainly wet diet.
I can certainly vouch for the fact that adding water to food is very helpful in combating cystitis because since our cat's very first bout a couple of months ago, he's been passing urine freely. (Everything x'd as I typed that!). I've no doubt that the Hills Prescription Urinary Stress diet has also helped.

As our cat refused to use the water fountain we then bought for him, the vet suggested adding 2 tablespoons of water to his meal. I do that when he has a fair amount of food rather than completely drown a small portion. Blackie seems to love lapping up the 'broth' especially when the water has been warmed slightly.

The vet had also given him an injection of Metacam immediately after draining the urine out of him and and then sold us a small bottle of it to add to his food for 5 days. Blackie seemed to have no adverse reaction to it.

The vet told us to look out for Blackie's next bout of cystitis (he's assured me the first won't be the last) - but can anyone here advise me on how to spot this? We had no idea he couldn't pass urine a couple of months ago because he normally toilets outside - and on the odd occasion when we heard him go to one of his 2 litter trays indoors, we never heard him cry out with pain and neither did he urinate or try to anywhere else. He didn't go off his food, he still liked to play 'hide and seek' late at night - and just seemed normal for him.

The only thing I can think of was that one evening he came across and lay in my arms like a baby .... now that is so unusual ... he is totally not a lap cat - nearest he gets is walking across my lap to get somewhere else! Perhaps that was his way of trying to tell me something was wrong or going wrong. But I completely missed it.

Iif there's anything else I should look out for, I'd be grateful to hear from anyone if they know of other signs/symptoms.

Not sure I'll ever get over the vet telling me how pleased he was that we brought him in 24 hours earlier than planned for something totally unrelated to a condition we didn't even know he had because in another 24 hours, it might have been too late.

Really wishing Tom well.

Thanks ... from another 'mad cat lady' :D
Nettybags
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Nettybags »

Hello ,
Tom is still suffering we saw the vet last Thursday and was given metacam injection and worked a treat but since then a neighbour with stupid fireworks !! And finishing hypovase he's started going in and out the tray . Spoke to vet and she has given me hypovase and give him more metacam (only half a dose ) because of kidneys .. Still in and out of tray it's been two and half weeks .
My problem is Tom is the most sensitive cat ever and doesn't even like being left for too long ..I have cat sitters if I have to go out with hubby . Luckily I work days hubby works evenings .
Tom has had cystitis a few times but never as long as this bout . I can tell by the amount of litter outside of tray and he licks his bits a lot . And in the past have been able to deal with it by using cystophan. If I take my other cat to vet he gets cystitis , if workmen outside he gets cystitis super sensitive .
We are going to keep using cystophan as preventive measure and I am trying to add Water to food but I have to give him some dry food because he's very long haired and gets constipated if on wet only which guess what gives him cystitis .
It must be hard to have a cat that goes outside to the toilet ..as mine are indoors I use catsain the rolled pack as that has a lining and I can check if he has weed . And Tom even wakes me if he has a fur ball during the night for a cuddle .. To be honest I think tom plays me a little !

I really wish I could offer more advice

I'm off to do litter tray check lol
X
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'm sorry poor Tom is still not comfortable.

With a cat toileting outside it's definitely harder to spot cystitis, especially if Blackie's behaviour seems no different. I did learn to spot blockages in Daz by feeling his bladder - at the back of the stomach. You could barely feel anything when he was OK, but when blocked it went to the size of an orange - after several blockages I could almost spot it just by the shape of him. Maybe you could ask your vet to show you where to feel next time you take him in?
Nettybags
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Nettybags »

Help Toms vet wants to do an xray on Friday and now my mind is going into overdrive ....
And I have to leave him there to be sedated as he's not very good with strangers ..
Anybody had to have the cat X-ray last time tom had bladder stones he had ultrasound ? Does that mean there looking for something different ?
I'm hoping that Tom makes a magical recovery but I know I have to take him
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

So sorry to hear that Tom is still not on the road to recovery, Nettybags. He certainly sounds a highly nervous individual - more than Blackie is. Though, since taking care of him a year ago after my mother went into a home, he does seem a bit calmer, and not so afraid of strangers. But a lap cat he'll never be. I've hardly seen him all day today - nothing he likes more than being outdoors either rolling in the dirt :roll: or sleeping in the greenhouse until he gets too hot.

Can imagine how worried you must be ... I've been in a near state of panic for the last couple of months wondering when the next bout of cystitis for Blackie might happen and whether I'll get him to the vets in time. Really hope the x-ray finds nothing untoward with Tom.

I definitely will ask the vet to show me what to feel for and where as I haven't a clue. so thanks for that advice Crewella.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Everything crossed for poor Tom today - I don't remember if Daz had an x-ray, though I know he had ultrasound scans.

I did have a horrible year last year with Daz's cystitis and blockages, but if it makes you both feel better it was all worth it and we do seem to have got some control over it now.
Nettybags
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Nettybags »

You are all so kind and it's really helped having you to talk too .
I've just left Tom at vets he was so good let them X-ray him . Vet said he has a bladder full of stones and is now having an operation to be removed .
Just waiting for call to say it went okay and that I can visit him .
Bit of a nervous wreck at the moment ..

Will post again as soon as I have seen him xx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Poor Tom and poor you. Fusses to him and hugs to you. Hope he's feeling better soon. x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Well, he'll be much better off without them. All paws here crossed for him today. (((hugs)))
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

Seems I spoke far too soon about Blackie and his FIC ... just returned from the vets because I noticed Blackie had gone into his litter tray about half-hour ago, did a few paw marks and stepped out again, leaving nothing behind. So we whizzed him down the road to the vets. Hoped the vet would tell me I was panicking over nothing ...but seems not. Said his bladder was full - not to bursting but we were right to bring him in straight away and not to wait until Monday (the original idea was to have him checked before taking him to a cattery for 4 days). Not the news I wanted to hear, but there we are.

Blackie will insist on sleeping in the greenhouse during the day and the temperature has been up to and past 40F in there at times. When I remember he's in there, I chase him out, so wonder whether he's become dehydrated, in spite of all the water I put in his food. The vet mentioned that he will also prescribe him Cystophan which I think some people here give their cats and the greenhouse door will remain firmly shut when its hot.

Have left him at the vets as he will have an anaesthetic so the urine can be drawn off and hopefully all will be well again like the last time. This all couldn't have come at a worse time as we're supposed to be going away to celebrate a close friend's birthday from Monday to Friday (its been booked for months) and Blackie is booked to go into a cattery. But if we have to cancel out, we will (fortunately my husband is as daft about the cat as me).

Hopefully the end result to this bout will be the same as the first time. Thinking of you too Nettybags. Still wishing Tom well.

Jan
Nettybags
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Nettybags »

Just been for a cuddle with Tom , he was okay but looked so sad . I think nurse thought I was a little crazy getting upset . Hopefully the catherter comes out in the morning and if he wees I can bring him home .
I'm so sorry to hear Blackie is unwell and at such a awkward time for you ..but you sound just like me would cancel rather then leave them .
It's weird how you just know when something's not right with them . And great you got it sorted so quick ..
Toms stones have been sent of but I'm sure there the calcium oxalate ones again . I've just gone through his notes and it is 5 years 2 days since last stones were removed ! So spooky in the same month just two days difference .
Thanks to everyone for support it really has helped . And I will have to put up photos of my babies .
I'm just taking kitty to bed .. The sooner I go to bed the sooner the morning will come !!
Even if kitty is enjoying be top cat for the day !
Lots of love to Blackie from kitty and Tom xxxx
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

Happy to hear that Tom is recuperating after his op ...such a worrying time for you. Totally understand you being upset at the vets.... after all, cats (or any animal) become part of the family. You probably cried with relief like I did this evening at home.

Fortunately, when Blackie was put 'under', the vet was able to extract all the urine easily. He has no blockages, there was no blood in his urine. The vet told us he'd had to give him 2 shots of anaesthetic which I couldn't understand because when he had the procedure done 2 months ago by the other vet at the practice, he'd only had one and on that occasion, the situation was much more critical. Within a few hours he was back to his normal self, but he's nowhere near that right now. I wish we could have seen that vet this time but unfortunately he's been on holiday this week.

I was so worried about the state of him after we got Blackie home that I rang the emergency vet but of course they couldn't really tell me much over the phone, only to reassure me that it was probably the effects of the anaesthetic. But if he hadn't come round more in the night to bring him up. Would rather not subject Blackie to the journey - its a long trip so I may try and find an emergency vet nearer where we live if it becomes necessary. Doubt I'll get much sleep tonight!

Still, he has eaten and has had a wee in his tray which is a good sign though he hadn't got the strength to cover it up.

The vet was very wary about us putting him in a cattery at this time because it will cause him stress. I'd already decided we were not going away next week after all. However, one of the nurses who works at the vets has said she'll come along to feed him in the morning and evening so he can stay in his own surroundings and also administer the medication he's been given Cystophan, Metacam and Dantrium. That way Blackie can stay in his own surroundings. Very grateful to her, but to be honest, I'm not overly happy to leave him on his own during the day and night. He may be a very independent cat, but he likes to know we are around. I'll leave any final decision for a day or so.

Hugs to Tom + Kitty ... and you from me and 'The Elderly Gentleman' as Blackie is known at the vets :D
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

Poor Blackie doesn't seem to have passed any urine since Friday night when we got him back from the vets. Just seen a paw mark in his litter but nothing left behind. He doesn't let out any cries - just one paw mark, knowing he can't pee. This is in spite of all the medication he's been given (Dantrium, Metacam and Cystophan). We have to take him back to the vets early tomorrow morning and I'm afraid they'll say the treatment they gave him on Friday may have to be done all over again. I'm not adding too much water to his food now if its not coming out the other end.

He has been very quiet all day, even when he goes out, he stays in the greenhouse, hunched up, not relaxed at all. I should have rung my mother at the care home today, but just couldn't face her questions about Blackie and 'he's all right, is he?' (he was her cat for 10 years). She won't remember that I didn't phone anyway, so that's one good thing. About the only thing good at the moment.
Nettybags
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Nettybags »

Hi everybody , I collected Tom from the vets last night at 7pm . He was acting really strange because of morphine . But it was lovely to bring him home even if my other cat kitty doesn't like his smell now she keeps hissing at him and me ! What so funny is he doesn't even realise how cross she is with him .
I stayed up most of the night up with him and today he's much more himself . As I'm typing this he's fast asleep and comfortable at last . Looks like an early night tonight .
The vet has sent his stones off to be analysed but is 100 percent sure there calcium oxalate . So i need to start finding out if there's anyway to avoid them .. He's already on diet for kidneys and now only has bottled water lol anything so this doesn't happen again .
How is Blackie now ? I totally get what you mean about leaving them all during day /night . I don't know my husband laughs it me saying I wish you fussed over me as much as him .. Even though he was the one getting me to call vet every few hours incase there was something wrong .
Would like to say a huge thank you from me and Thomas for all your help advice and support this really is a great chat forum .
Lots of hugs for Blackie and all the other lovely cats xxx
Nettybags
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Nettybags »

Hi everybody , I collected Tom from the vets last night at 7pm . He was acting really strange because of morphine . But it was lovely to bring him home even if my other cat kitty doesn't like his smell now she keeps hissing at him and me ! What so funny is he doesn't even realise how cross she is with him .
I stayed up most of the night up with him and today he's much more himself . As I'm typing this he's fast asleep and comfortable at last . Looks like an early night tonight .
The vet has sent his stones off to be analysed but is 100 percent sure there calcium oxalate . So i need to start finding out if there's anyway to avoid them .. He's already on diet for kidneys and now only has bottled water lol anything so this doesn't happen again .
I am sorry to hear Blackie isn't feeling better , is he still eating ? My vet always makes me take tom straight in when he doesn't wee .. As toms kidneys have been a major problem in past . But I'm in Central London and have got a vet with 24 hour so very lucky .
It's for the best not to tell your mum as she will worry and by tomorrow the vet will have helped him . My vet kept tom overnight and all day yesterday to keep him on drip because of his kidneys it was horrible but he needed flushing through . I think our babies must have super sensitive bladders .
Give Blackie a big hug from us please post to let me know how he gets on a vets .
Lots of love xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Glad Tom's home and recovering. :)

All paws here crossed for Blackie. (((hugs)))