Cystitis for a week ?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cystitis for a week ?

Post by Jan »

Very pleased to read that Tom is back home safe and sound.

Thanks for all the support! It helps a lot.

First, I'm pleased to report that Blackie had a wee in the night before we took him to the vets this morning. He must be weeing in the garden - its impossible to keep track of what he's doing most of the time because he is such an outdoor cat. At least I spotted him having a wee in the front garden this afternoon! As for his appetite - it has never changed throughout his 'troubles' - enjoys his food!

Yesterday (Sunday) was a 'difficult' day, I won't go into the farce of trying to get Blackie to take a tablet by mouth - save to say, we gave up. In the end I crushed the capsule contents in Lick-e-Licks to see if it covered up the bitter taste. It did. So that was that problem solved.

This morning he seemed more like his normal self and the vet seemed pleased with his progress. However, from now on, if possible I will not see this particular vet again. I expect it goes back to the very first visit when the cat was so bad tempered (I felt thoroughly embarrassed) and the vet had to put on gauntlets in order to give him an injection. When the vet was examining him this morning the cat was in the crouch position while being examined and Blackie started growling a bit, so I stroked him. The vet said 'Be careful' to which I replied that the cat wouldn't scratch me. Turns out the vet was more worried that the cat would scratch him!

Anyway, we have to go on with the medication for another week and the Cystophan can be given every other day after 2 weeks. I believe some people use Cystease - I don't know if that's better?

Though FIC has no defined cause, we believe the fact that we shuttle between 2 houses (our own and my mother's) every 2 or 3 months, is very unsettling for Blackie - which is why we thought long and hard about taking him on. But I felt it was the least I could do for Mum because he was her life for 10 years otherwise he might have languished in a cat's home for the rest of his life as he does have a 'difficult' temperament at times.

Hugs from me and Blackie
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Hurrah for Blackie's pee! :D

I've wondered the same about Cystophan and Cystease, but Daz seems to be doing OK on the Cystophan so I'll stick with it.

All you can do is your best. I was worried about added stress for Daz when I took on Basil as a stray with a broken leg, but we made it work. Things may not be perfect but, like you, I have to believe that they are much better off with me than they were as strays or in a pen.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I have in the past used Cystaid, Cystease and VetUK's own Bladder Nutrient though not Cystophan

I get whatever is cheapest when I need to buy, though I may stick to the VetUK's product in future because the capsules are the easiest to open http://www.vetuk.co.uk/pet-cystitis-vet ... les-p-9835" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it makes such a difference - I've had Tiffany on these supplements for years now, and last week for the first time in ages I found her squatting in the flower beds or her indoor tray at least 10 times an hour, after being upset by a cat outside the enclosure - so I immediately upped the Cystease from one every other day to 2 a day, and 48 hours later she was fine again
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

Crewella wrote:Hurrah for Blackie's pee! :D

I've wondered the same about Cystophan and Cystease, but Daz seems to be doing OK on the Cystophan so I'll stick with it.

All you can do is your best. I was worried about added stress for Daz when I took on Basil as a stray with a broken leg, but we made it work. Things may not be perfect but, like you, I have to believe that they are much better off with me than they were as strays or in a pen.
Sometimes, Crewella, I wonder whether my best is good enough. For the last 3/4 years he was living with Mum, she never took him to the vets, he never had flea or worm treatment - not because she couldn't be bothered, but because she was becoming too physically frail and forgetful. Her local vet was so concerned at one time about him when we took him in because he was so overweight (Mum couldn't remember when she fed him), that she said he was at extremely high risk of developing urinary crystals or stones and that as Mum couldn't care for him as he would need, he would die. We give him all the treatments he needs - and he has a bad reaction to Profender on the 3rd time of use and then develops idiopathic cystitis.

To top it all, Blackie had a fearful fight last night with another local cat and definitely came off much the worst. The screeching I heard was awful and I knew immediately Blackie was being beaten up. We eventually found him on top of the side gate post and he came limping through the front door. (I would have cheerfully strangled the other cat if I'd got hold of him). For all Blackie's spitty nature, he's not a real fighter - only gets brave when a human is out in the garden with him. Maybe that's due to him being the runt of the litter, I don't know. But this other cat had strayed too near the house where Blackie normally sits at night waiting to come in and no doubt he felt honour bound to defend his territory.

I felt distraught because when I switched on the patio light, his black fur was all over the place. He has such a beautiful, shiny black coat usually and as my husband said, he looks pretty dog-eared at the moment. Anyone looking at him would think he was a stray!

We took him to the vets this afternoon just to make sure there were no scratches/bites. The vet couldn't find any though has to be said Blackie was most definitely not in the mood to be messed about with. But he assured me that the antibiotic injection he'd given Blackie when he'd emptied his bladder would cover him for any injury.

Blackie certainly doesn't need the added stress of some bully cat prowling around his territory.

Thank you to you too Kay for the info on Cytease ... I am willing to try anything and everything to stop Blackie's cystitis as it stresses me to think I might miss the symptoms and leave it too late, like I almost did 2 months ago when I had no idea what was happening with him. I'll stick with Cystophan until the 30 tablets have gone and then might try Cystease.

Anyway, he's just had a wee in the tray downstairs and has now gone upstairs, presumably to bed. He may not feel too confident about going out tonight!
Nettybags
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Nettybags »

So happy that Blackie had a wee on his own .. But sounds like poor Blackie is having a terrible time with the bully cat . Hope he stays in tonight . Sounds like your doing the best you can and he's lucky to have you . Is he a big cat ? My tom is 8kg but really a big cat and my vet has told me that he should have two cystophan twice a day when he's got cystitis and when I think he's getting stressed . After that lower dose but keep him on it daily . I really get how bad it makes you feel , I always feel like I should of done better especially after a bad experience but he's obviously really loved by you both . With animals so hard guessing looking for signs but we can only do our best .
I took Tom to the vets after dental surgery and he had reaction to drugs his kidneys started failing he spent two nights there and luckily pulled through . And got a call from the vet saying he's so aggressive you should come and get him ...Put it on his notes really annoyed me as Tom is all talk and no action .. So when I went this time and different vet wanted to sedate him to X-ray him I showed her that for a bit of affection tom will do anything . She done it no problem at all and after his night at weekend in vets the nursing staff loved him . I think vets are like our doctors some better then others ! Male vets seem to make the most fuss !! I sound a little nuts but as times gone on I'm much more assertive ( in a nice way ) about what drugs tom reacts to and knowing him better then them .
Give Blackie a big hug from us xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Oh poor Blackie, he's having a really tough time of it. ((((hugs)))

Glad at least he and Tom are peeing for now.

I also just wanted to stress how important I believe the weight loss was for Daz, I had him on Cystophan for weeks, and on a Urinary diet, and with extra water and we still had problems. My vet (or one of them - I had so many emergencies I saw several!) was suggesting a perineal urethrostomy, but I wanted to give the weight loss a chance, and it was only after he lost about 1 kilo and went down to 5.5kg that he remained stable. At the end of last summer, there were three other cats in with urinary blockages when Daz had his last attack, and all three were overweight.

Sorry if I'm nagging! ;)
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

Oh Nettybags ... how awful for you... so glad that Tom came through.

I think you're right ... a bit of affection works wonders and cats are such sensitive creatures that they pick up immediately when a vet is scared /doesn't like them. The vet did say to me that Blackie is a 'difficult cat' but I hope what he meant is that Blackie is extremely sensitive to his surroundings/people etc (least I hope that's what he meant!).

You are all so kind caring ... and it helps a lot that as a real novice at caring for a cat, you think I'm doing all I can. I worked long and hard to gain Blackie's trust and having to cart him off to the vets so much lately hasn't done much for his trust in me.

No way was I going to let Blackie out on Tuesday night - in fact at around 8pm he went upstairs to bed - very, very unusual for him as around that time he makes straight for the French doors and miaows to be let out. However, at 10.30pm he decided he did want to go out ... but we didn't let him so he did a wee in one tray and a poo in the other (he will not do both in one tray). Then he headed straight upstairs for the small bedroom to sleep. Relief all round!

The vet must have been concerned enough about him being stressed again due to the beat-down he got on Monday night that he phoned today to check that he was weeing ok and how he was. I told the vet he looks a bit stiff in the hind quarters - so much so that I put a chair in the greenhouse so it made it easier for him to get onto the benching. I was also worried that the patch that had been inflamed due to Profender might be irritating again due to him being stressed because of the fight and he told me that, if necessary, I could go back to putting on some Fermuderm ointment to stop the irritation. The vet said he will call again in a few days to check on progress but if I have any immediate concerns to bring him straight in again.

As for Blackie's weight, Crewella, he is 5.65 kilos and I've tried really hard to get it down to 5kgs because its been suggested that would be his ideal weight. If Blackie thinks he isn't getting enough to eat, first he will scratch his food mat to let me know he wants more, and if he doesn't get it, we end up with either a field mouse, a bird or a fully grown mouse being brought into the house.

At the moment, his appetite isn't great - have to really coax him to eat his urinary stress diet - sometimes I have to literally spoon feed him. He simply will not use the water fountain and the only way to get water into him is adding it to his food.

But for all his faults and foibles, we are both so taken with him. We must be because we have given up a trip away with some friends this week so that we can stay and be with him day and night. Am sure our friends don't really understand. Its our wedding anniversary today and we'd been so looking forward to spending the time with our friends ... but there we are... plans change- we have to make the most of a nice meal indoors + a bottle of wine. So off I go to cook it :D

Hugs to all.