Cats indoors and holidays

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Cats indoors and holidays

Post by emmab »

Do any of you go on holiday when maybe one of your cats stays indoors all the time? We have an indoor cat atm and will be a long time before he can go out but I am reluctant to book a holiday because he is indoors all the time whilst the other one goes out. We have a sureflap and our neighbour will be on litter tray duty for the week but he is dying to go out atm and concerned if we go away he may not have the company as he hates it when the other cat goes out and he can't.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cats indoors and holidays

Post by Janey »

Well I rarely go on holiday but if I do it’s for a few days and I leave the cat at home (but indoors) if it’s one day, or in a cattery for a few days. But if I had someone to house sit, I personally wouldn’t let any of my cats out at all. I just think if I were to look after someone’s else's cat whilst they were away I wouldn’t want the responsibility if they went missing or anything happened outside. I know some people do, but I’ve also heard on here of cats go missing when they’ve been away and I would hate for that to happen.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Hmm yes I see your point. I would never expect any neighbour to be responsible for them going missing. He cannot go to the cattery as he is hard to catch and not very tame atm, hence the question. We have family staying in August and that is fine as they can be here for him. We have left Gemo before with our neighbour popping in and she was fine, and has been for a few holidays now. In fact Chamaille went missing one night whilst we were at home, so realise it can happen at any time.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Emma, how well do your two cats get on and would Gemo (I take it that's your other cat?) be OK confined to the house or would she go stir crazy?

Cats are funny things - I know a cattery isn't an option but just for comparison; a friend of mine whenever they went on holiday would put her lot into a cattery. In the past two or three years she's had two new cats to the mix and each time they came back from the cattery it seemed like they had bonded more - almost like they found solidarity in their confinement :)

Just wondering if Diabolo would realise just what he's missing if you're not there for a bit and maybe become a bit more affectionate? I think depending on how both cats get on I'd actually give it a go and maybe just go away for a long weekend to start with, with both confined to the house and the neighbour coming in? That short time should be just find and will at least give you an idea of how the cats would react.

However if Gemo has to have access to outside... where is your currently cat flap to outside? Could you put in another microchip catflap into the door of that room and close it so that only Gemo could get into the room to then get outside (if that makes sense?). I've done that with my house. The cat flap to the back garden is in the bedroom windows. So I've put a flap into the bedroom door and whenever I got a new cat I'd keep that door closed so new cat couldn't get into the bedroom to go out, but the others could.

Just an idea?
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Thanks for your lengthy reply and help. A cattery is not an option as I think two of them in close proximity and also getting Diabolo in a cat box would be impossible.
I think at least them being at home together in their own surroundings is better. Diabolo has taken a lot of disruption and stress since his days at the refuge so some normality is good. I think we will go with the option of either them both being indoors together and seeing each other rather than Diabolo being closed off upstairs and Gemo downstairs. That way boredom won't be too bad. As to whether Gemo goes out I am not sure. We have ordered a Sureflap and will fit that on Monday when it arrives. We have then 2 months to see how she adjusts to that and ensure Diabolo doesn't force it to bits trying to get out!
Our neighbour will do the litter tray/s each day morning and night and see how things go. Gemo is normally fine outside and we have been away before with this set up and she has been fine. Diabolo does throw a wobbly atm when he sees her going out but hope within 2 months he will be better and more calm. We have booked now, so committed. We have chickens as well so for me I don't take any holiday likely unless I know we can figure something out.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

for what it's worth - I think keeping them both inside whilst you're away is the right decision and they will be fine. They may not be 100% happy but hey, having run of the house is still heaps better than being confined anywhere.

And as you say, you've got your neighbour coming twice a day.

Enjoy your holidays when the time comes - hopefully you're off somewhere nice, sunny with lovely beaches and lots of sunshine (and cocktails and wine! :lol: )
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Thanks Meriad. Yes I think so. I still won't worry any less, like most pet owners!