Emily Dickinson is going bald

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
sweep-emily
New Cat Chatter

Emily Dickinson is going bald

Post by sweep-emily »

Hello, I haven't been on here for a few years. I currently have two female cats, 10 and 11, both rescue moggies, former ferals, both quirky but lovely ladies!
Emily has lost a lot of fur from her lower belly, I presume from over-grooming though I haven't seen her do this. I noticed a few days ago that you can see a large patch of pink skin through a very fine & short covering of white hair, and on closer inspection some adjoining black fur and skin is in the same state.
I will take her to the vet in order to hopefully rule out any physical issue. She has always slept a great deal (even by feline standards), only goes outside in good weather and for short periods - so barely at all at the moment - but seems perky enough. I fear I've not been playing with her enough this winter and haven't realised she's under stimulated :(
She has quick chases round the house with Sweep and occasional games with string, Da Mouse or laser pointer, but she doesn't really play independently and can be very clingy. Toys like the ones where they're supposed to bat balls through tunnel mazes are ignored, and treat dispensing balls are too intellectually demanding. Are there any others worth trying for the times when I'm working and can't give her my full attention?
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Emily Dickinson is going bald

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome back :) Have you tried ping pong balls? my cat loves them! although very often I end up throwing it for her and running round more than her :lol: But she will play on her own with one aswell. What did your vet say about the fur loss?
sweep-emily
New Cat Chatter

Re: Emily Dickinson is going bald

Post by sweep-emily »

Ping pong balls are a great idea - she will play with those by herself sometimes (and instantly lose them under furniture... must remember to get a large supply!). I haven't bought any for ages as our other cat is scared of them (one bounced off the wall and hit her in the face once, so they are Not To Be Trusted) but maybe she'll have forgotten that by now :?
I'll be taking them both to the vets in a week or so for their boosters when I get paid, so will get the vet to have a look then. It doesn't look any worse since I first noticed and she's eating and toileting fine (no furballs as yet), but I know that if it's a behavioural / self-comforting thing then it might be a long-term issue. She does have a thing about chewing textiles, woolly things, and my hair, so maybe it's a sort of extension of that habit.