Cat wanting to go out/behaviour

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Cat wanting to go out/behaviour

Post by emmab »

Diabolo has been going out now for 10 days and is doing really well. What a transformation since his arrival in November...apart from one thing! He uses the cat flap to come in but won't use it to go out???? He does half scare himself to death with the speed he uses the thing but for some reason going out he is not happy with. We have tried swapping the cat flap around to the tunnel is on the inside (as he comes in OK) but no joy.
I either have to let him out via the door (which I am not doing so much now) or try feeding him through the flap. Any ideas please as we aren't really making progress. He sees Gemo going in and out and when he does he meows to go out but cannot grasp the concept of it.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

have you physically posted him through? I ended up doing that with one of mine ... maybe not the most elegant but eventually it worked :D

Or hold the flap open for him (the right way, ie push it outwards) so he starts going out then when half way through gently let go of the flap so he does the rest himself?
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Actually, just thinking - if you look through the catflap yourself I(and I mean going down onto the floor to cat flap level), to the outside... what is there? Could it be that he's seeing something that he's not sure of so won't go out that way?
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

meriad wrote:Actually, just thinking - if you look through the catflap yourself I(and I mean going down onto the floor to cat flap level), to the outside... what is there? Could it be that he's seeing something that he's not sure of so won't go out that way?
Ha ha...I have been at cat flap leavel quite a bit this week showing him what to do!! :lol: Someone mentioned they are OK when they can smell outside so I am opening it and he is going out. The issue is pushing the door, although he does it coming in OK.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I have heard it said that some cats feel vulnerable going out through a catflap, and that it helps to put outdoor furniture and plants around the outside entrance/exit to provide cover so that they get a good chance to look and sniff around as they exit.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

I heard this too. I know someone who does this and leaves a plant pot outside. He seems fine ish now.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That's good news - progress! :)