My 3yr old Balinese girl died unexpectedly

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Joop65
New Cat Chatter

My 3yr old Balinese girl died unexpectedly

Post by Joop65 »

We adopted her from the breeder last August, aged 3 yrs. She was a delicate little thing, with no history of any health problems. About 2 weeks ago she showed symptoms of cystitis, took her to vet & she was prescribed Loxicam anti-inflammatory which had a good effect. Several days later (Friday) her symptoms came back suddenly (while still on Loxicam), so another trip to vet and this time was given Cystophan (for the bladder) however went downhill rapidly and died this evening at home in a lot of pain.
I don't think cats die from cystitis, the vet hasn't offered much explanation but acknowledged there must have been something else going on ?what.
I am worried my cut flowers in vases are to blame (although I never saw her eating them). The flowers were tulips, daffodils and alstromeria.
Could a lick of any of these flowers (stamens/petals/leaves) have caused such severe effect on her? Does anyone know? I would appreciate your thought and comments. Thank you.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: My 3yr old Balinese girl died unexpectedly

Post by lilynmitz »

I'm so sorry to hear about your experiences. That sounds confusing and bewildering for you. It's a shame the vet couldn't offer more help to work out why she went downhill so suddenly, and it's very tempting in these circumstances to clutch at straws looking for an answer. I think it's pretty unlikely it was anything to do with your flowers. Cats encounter all sorts of potentially "toxic" plants out in the garden, as well as in our houses, and when I think of the cut flowers and pot plants I used to bring home before I knew better, even the dreaded lilies, I wince. But most of the time cats just ignore or avoid these, otherwise our poor little mogs would be dying all around us.

I know it would be helpful for you to know what really happened, but sometimes we just can't get to the bottom of these things, and without a full autopsy with toxicology at the time of death, which would be distressing and very expensive, this would be very difficult.

Then blaming ourselves is sadly a natural part of grief - "could I have done more, was it my fault", but most of the time, there's nothing even the most loving and attentive owner could have done. You got her to a vet, you tried the obvious treatments, but sadly your puss was too poorly for these to help her.

Life is fragile, our bodies are fragile, and the world is a complicated place where these tragedies occur. We can't stop all bad things from happening, and I'm sorry that this has happened to you and your puss. But it's the happy times you spent with her that matter, the loving home you gave her, and the love and happiness she gave back to you. Remember these times, not the last few distressing weeks, and the pain will eventually ease. I hope this helps.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

First of all, I am sorry to hear about your little cat, but as lilynmitz says you should not blame yourself for this. Daffs and tulips are toxic to cats (don't know about alstromeria but would assume it is), but we have a garden full of daffs and other 'toxic' plants and have never had a minutes worry about the cats - mind you I do love my lilies and am to be seen snipping the stamens out of them as they open. :?

I don't know the circumstances of your cat's illness but I would not be blaming your love of flowers.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'm sorry to hear about your cat - did the breeder neuter her before you got her?
Didi
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Didi »

I am so sorry about your little girl it must be heartbreaking and not knowing "why" can't be helping. I'm sure your flowers didn't have anything to do with it.
It seems strange that she appeared to recover then went downhill could it be her kidneys had been affected ? I don't know if cystitis in girl cats can do that
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hello Joop so sorry to read of your loss of your precious fur baby. RIP little one. Joop I can't add any other words that have been posted. All I can add is that you'll receive heaps of support here as you work through your grief. Take care. Vivian
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so very sorry to hear what happened, but as the others have said sometimes these things just do happen. You loved her, you took her to a vet when she needed you to and you tried your best for her - that's all she could have asked of you. Many cat owners have plants and flowers in the house, I can understand that you're desperately searching for a reason for what happened, but I doubt very much that the answer is as simple as that, and you may never get to the bottom of it at all, I'm afraid.

It's natural to search for answers, but try to be kind to yourself. She was lucky to have an owner that cared as much as you so obviously do. Rest in peace, little puss. (((hugs)))