Recovered from respiratory infection in May now ill again

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Anna1502
Frequent Cat Chatter

Recovered from respiratory infection in May now ill again

Post by Anna1502 »

Hi,

Binky was diagnosed with a respiratory infection/laryngitis/sore throat last month (3 May) and put on a course of antibiotics. She recovered and was back to her old self after about a week.

Then just this morning, she went poorly again and she felt hot. She had eaten her very early morning breakfast in the timer around 5:30 am and always pesters for lunch between 11:30 - 1:00 pm.
She did her early morning poo (downstairs litter) and a bit of wee (upstairs litter).
Around 11 am, my mum saw her go to the conservatory litter where she was straining and heaving her abdomen a lot to go poo or wee but nothing much came out.
Since then, she went lethargic and not interested in food at all. She just lay on the conservatory floor shallow breathing and she felt hot to touch.
I got her to the vet at 3 pm this afternoon (was a vet I've not seen before) and she gave her a long lasting antibiotic with a painkiller. On checking her, said that her bladder was empty.
Said if she doesn't pick up in next 2 days, to get a urine sample to check if problem is urinary tract infection.

Does this sound like UTI?
It's weird that she had already done some poo and some wee very early this morning but then was struggling and straining to go in the conservatory litter later on and that the vet found her bladder empty.
And that her temperature is slightly above normal.

Can URI cause cats to go off their food?

Thanks,
Anna
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Recovered from respiratory infection in May now ill agai

Post by greenkitty »

It does sound like a UTI, perhaps the stress of the previous illness brought it on. If she eats wet food try mixing in about a tablespoon of warm water into the food to help keep her bladder flushed.
Anna1502
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Anna1502 »

Well, she ate some breakfast very early this morning in the timer.
I'm trying to give her more wet food (Encore chicken with brown rice) and a little kibble with soft centre (Royal Canin Ageing +12).
This afternoon, she came down for lunch but hardly ate any of the wet food (Encore chicken and brown rice pouch). Just ate a bit of the kibble.
She still feel slightly hot when she sat on my lap a little while ago.

No toilet yet.
Not interested going to the litter at all.
Just really worried now.....she's never had all these problems in one year (worms and vomiting, respiratory infection and then this whatever it is).
I'm just praying she doesn't have a blockage.
She's getting on now, 10 plus.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

The antibiotics can take a few days to take effect. How is she looking today? Have you tried her on a different food, eg Hills A/D (from the vet) is good for cats with little appetite, or a bit of tuna perhaps? 10 isn't that old, so don't write her off just yet. She should have many more years left in her.