FAO MARKB! Royal Canin food ethics/blocked anal glands!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Suzynick
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

FAO MARKB! Royal Canin food ethics/blocked anal glands!

Post by Suzynick »

Hi All

My indoor cat Alfie has started suffering with blocked anal glands :( He has been on yarrah chicken chunks wet food for years, did try the grain free stuff but neither cat liked it. For the last year he has also had lilys kitchen hunters hotpot so have been feeding both foods alongside each other. I've now stopped buying the lilys as I am wondering whether this perhaps was disagreeable to him but I might be wrong.

Dry food he is more fussy, well both cats are. They were on Arden Grange for years until they changed the formula, Storm continued liking it but Alfie went off it. To be honest Alfie is quite fussy with biscuits anyway, but we discovered he really liked the Arden Grange salmon so have just started giving them both the AG chicken and salmon mixed together. I can't be doing with separate containers, although Storm has taken an instant dislike to the salmon! :lol:

I had read briefly about feeding food with psyliium husks in but in the Royal Canin foods only. I wasn't going to bother as I am a bit picky on what brands I use due to how ethical the brand is. Although when I paid a local pet store a visit yesterday I succumbed to a reduced bag of RC oral care. Gave Alfie a small amount last night and he wolfed it down!

Does anyone know of any other foods containing this psyliium husk (I did a google search but couldn't find anything), and what are your views on ethical cat foods? I guess at the end of the day my cats health is more important. Alfie has bouts of digestive issues with either loose stools or hard ones he can't get out! The vet gave me some stuff to put on his food daily, and suggested I took him vets every 6 weeks to get his anal glands emptied.

Thanks
Suzanne
Last edited by Suzynick on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Royal Canin food ethics/blocked anal glands!

Post by meriad »

Hopefully Mark B will see this thread as I'm sure he'll be able to advise - the only food I know of is that RC Fibre Response one - and it's meant to be really good.

to be honest, I totally get the ethical dilemma bit, but given there are potential health implications with this one I think (in fact I know) that I personally would feed what is needed.

Good luck - I do hope you find a solution that works for you and Alfie. Fusses to your lot
Suzynick
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Royal Canin food ethics/blocked anal glands!

Post by Suzynick »

meriad wrote:Hopefully Mark B will see this thread as I'm sure he'll be able to advise - the only food I know of is that RC Fibre Response one - and it's meant to be really good.

to be honest, I totally get the ethical dilemma bit, but given there are potential health implications with this one I think (in fact I know) that I personally would feed what is needed.

Good luck - I do hope you find a solution that works for you and Alfie. Fusses to your lot
Thanks Meriad :)

I'm pretty ethical in most areas of my life, so think I can probably be excused for thinking of Alfie's health on this occasion :)