How do you keep them still for treatment?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
willowdragon
Frequent Cat Chatter

How do you keep them still for treatment?

Post by willowdragon »

My cat has conjunctivitis. I first reported it to the vet three weeks ago, who said it was part of her cold and would go away on its own. Her cold went away, the conjunctivitis has gotten worse. Saw the vet again today, vet said to keep wiping away the discharge with Warm cotton pads.

Problem is she won't let me near that eye, and if I try to be any faster to get it while she's relaxed in my knee I'm going to end up hurting her. I tried the "scruffing" technique but she doesn't have enough scruff to actually hold. I don't know what to do :( if it doesn't go away in the next few days by clearing the discharge the vet said I should bring her back and he'll prescribe eye drops. How the hell do I apply eye drops if I can't even get her to hold still for a quick eye wipe?!
Didi
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: How do you keep them still for treatment?

Post by Didi »

My old cat used to get dreadful dermatitis which he would scratch until it bled and I would have to "wash" his face, the only way I could do it was very gradually with a treat as a reward took a few days before he would let me do it for longer than a few seconds but got there's in the end and he quite enjoyed it toward the end.
I used to find it easier to do if he was higher up than on my knee and used to put one arm across him over his back and then in front of his front legs - yes it was a bit like a position you may adopt in the game twister!- so I would put him on the kitchen worktop

Good luck
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: How do you keep them still for treatment?

Post by Lilith »

Hi again, while I agree she sounds a handful re the eye (perhaps a vet nurse could teach you some techniques on holding her) if she's the Bengal you've described as being off her food - there's the answer.

She's not eating because she's sniffly and not smelling her food. Try and tempt her with something strong-smelling. Sorry to suggest things that don't go with her raw diet but anything fishy like tuna, sardines, good quality fishfingers (with the breadcrumbs removed) baked haddock or cod or white fish, something SMELLY :)

I've got three myself who've had/are having a sniffly stress cold and won't eat their normal food either but luckily I had in a stock of posher stuff to tempt them and believe me they're keeping their strength up on that. They'll get back to their normal grub once the sneezing stops :)

Do hope she lets you deal with her eyes; I would definitely ask the vet or nurse to give you a few lessons on holding her, good luck :)