Xanax ... anyone given this to their cat?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Xanax ... anyone given this to their cat?

Post by Jan »

We shortly have to move back to our own home in Kent and as well as the usual vet's advice to give Cystophan 2 + 1 Zyklene x day before travelling and once we get back, I also asked her if there was anything else we could give to lower Blackie's stress levels during car travel (3 hrs). Vet advised 1/4 tablet half hour before travel. Just wondered if anyone else had given Xanax to their cat?
Didi
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Xanax ... anyone given this to their cat?

Post by Didi »

I was given it for Bilbo to try and reduce his stress the initial dose was 1 tablet but he was like a Friday night happy drunk after that, he "loved" everyone couldn't walk in a straight line and had a severe case of the munchies - ate everything in sight before falling fast asleep.
We went down to half a tablet and it relaxes him without making him drowsy he was a much happier cat, he took it for a week and it made a huge difference to his stress levels after being in hospital. The vet has suggested we give it him when we know he will be facing a stressful time to try and stop him getting over stressed- he was hospitalised with a blocked bladder caused by stress induced cystitis - so I will be making sure I have some on come next bonfire night/ New Year's Eve etc
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

Thanks for yr reassuring reply Didi.

Our vet advised to give only 1 quarter of the tablet before travelling. I think I'll ask her it would be ok to give him further quarters when we get home - depending on how he reacts. The last thing I want is a recurrence of his stress related cystitis though I'm now very alert to the signs whereas almost 2 years ago I wasn't and we nearly lost him.

We took Blackie into the vets the other week for a health check and my heart went out to him as he cowered against the wall trying to make himself invisible. When it came to him having his claws clipped he fought like a tiger through sheer fear.
Didi
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Didi »

Bilbo took it for a week, half a tablet twice a day to start off then down to half a tablet once a day and I have to say it's effect was instant and really good even taking him to the vet for a check up he remained calm and the vet said he was like a different cat.
I may be totally wrong but I think it just calmed him down enough that he realised the world wasn't "out to get him" , and although he is no longer taking it the difference in stress is still evident. Yesterday I was dreading leaving him whilst I went to work because whenever it has been windy before he has just gone into "stress head" mode but when I came home he was calm and even bins blowing over didn't faze him, he went on the window sill to investigate then came straight back to playing with his ball
I believe it saved his life after blocking twice in a week and both times ending up on a drip in the hospital to protect his kidneys he is now a much calmer cat and seems much happier -just need to sort out his aversion to the urinary food now ! Have gone back to his old food and starting the switch again now he is happier so hopefully we won't be back at the vets with stress related urinary problems again - having just had a bill for nearly £2000 !!
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

From what you say Didi, I wonder that our vet here in NSomerset hasn't suggested Xanax in the past :roll: Like Bilbo, Blackie is an anxious/nervy cat - can't fight his way out of a paper bag when it comes to other tom cats.

Probably need some Xanax myself as I feel anxious about moving him to a house/environment that he hasn't seen for 2 years.
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

Hops has had it to try to make journeys less stressful for him. The vet did advise doing a 'test run' before using it for travel, as if the dose is insufficient it can make them hyper instead of chilled, so might be worth asking about giving that a go before the move. If you do that, watch what Blackie is getting up to, as Hops got into a cupboard shortly after taking it, then tried to get out a while later and just sort of 'spilled' off the shelf and onto the floor! Fortunately he was only about a foot from the ground!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I've no experience, but fusses to lovely Blackie, and sending positive vibes. xx
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

Thank you for the fusses Helen - will pass them on.

However, we've had a change of plan - Blackie will be going to 'his' cattery for 3 weeks or so while we return to our house in Kent to 'blitz the loft' of all the rubbish that's up there. We have some life decisions to make soon and my OH felt that being distracted by worrying about how Blackie would cope with such a big change to his environment, which in the end could prove temporary, would be more stress than I can cope with. After much thought I reluctantly agreed.

As soon as I get a text from 'Auntie Linda' to say all is well with Blackie in the cattery (as is usually the case) I will feel like air being let out of a balloon :lol:

Thanks to those who gave me some helpful info on Xanax.