Kidney disease and diet

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
kernel23
New Cat Chatter

Re: Kidney disease and diet

Post by kernel23 »

hello guys,
sorry to hijack this thread, but google brought me here while trying to find info on Ipaketine (not really easily found), which i see some of you have used. My question is, the bottle states giving 1g per 5kg of body weight twice a day mixed with food, what if your cat has 5 smaller meals instead of one morning / one evening, is ipakitine working for a specific period or does it have to be mixed with all meals given ? My cat will only eat around 40g food at a time, so for the moment i give him 1g in the morning with 40g of food, then i feed him other things suitable for CKD (which he doesn't really like) and then feed him the powder with another 40g of food in the evening. Problem is he is asking for more canned food 4 hours and 8 hours after his morning meal, is the ipakitine working as medicine and taking it morning and evening make it ok to feed the non-renal food during the rest of the hours of the day ? or does it have to be added to the specific meal he is eating each time he is eating one ? My vet and never heard of it so couldn't get any info that way..
Any help will be appreciated, my cat has lost half his weight during the last 3 months I've been trying to give him renal food and only recently heard about ipakitine and ordered it online..
Kind Regards
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Jan »

As Blackie eats smallish meals during the day I just spread the amount to make up the recommended daily amount. He won't eat renal food and in any case, our vet told me as long as he had Ipakitine over his food he could eat his normal diet. We have used Ipakitine for 4 years now and Blackie seems much as he ever was - only older.

Hope this helps.
kernel23
New Cat Chatter

Post by kernel23 »

Thank you Jan, you did shed some light on how to use it, ill also spread it between his meals throughout the day..
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

I lost my soul-mate cat to renal failure in the days when options were extremely limited and now have another in borderline CKD, both diagnosed early.

The first had another 8 years with us despite limited options. Basically we could have Hills k/d dry or Whiskas tinned, and she refused Whiskas. So don't panic if they will only eat dry, it's not a death sentence. Also, the only diagnosis was a urine sample, a very distressing process and one we did not want to repeat. After a while we were offered Fortekor, but I refused it - she was doing well on the diet and the damage to her quality of life and our close bond from forcing a tablet down her throat every day was simply not acceptable. Don't be afraid to turn down treatment if it's not right for you and do not feel guilty.

The current one is also doing well on k/d but has a delicate tummy and I have been forced to stop giving him the pouches. Frequent bouts of diarrhoea, antibiotics and vitmain B injections may be no better than going with the flow and letting him eat nothing but biscuits. His levels have all come down to borderline normal and he is 14 and healthy.

The two most important pieces of advice I ever got for renal failure:

1. (from my first cat's vet) - can I give her treats? Answer - don't make her life a misery.

2. The best food for a CKD cat is what he will eat fromTanya's Pages https://www.felinecrf.org/ a really excellent resource for all carers of cats living with any stage of renal failure right to the end.

Above all else enjoy the time you have and don't make a diagnosis the start of never-ending rounds of vet visits and desperate anxiety and trying every known food under the sun. Quality of life is what counts. Do what you reasonably can but don't let it become everything. Perhaps with Fortekor my first cat might have lived to 17 or 18 not 16 but I guarantee she loved her life and really at that time anything past 12 was a bonus. I get to treasure the most amazing memories, and she doesn't know the difference. All she knew was that she felt great and when she didn't feel great any more her life ended peacefully at home in my arms, loved to her last breath and beyond.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Mollycat wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:21 pm Above all else enjoy the time you have and don't make a diagnosis the start of never-ending rounds of vet visits and desperate anxiety and trying every known food under the sun. Quality of life is what counts. Do what you reasonably can but don't let it become everything. Perhaps with Fortekor my first cat might have lived to 17 or 18 not 16 but I guarantee she loved her life and really at that time anything past 12 was a bonus. I get to treasure the most amazing memories, and she doesn't know the difference. All she knew was that she felt great and when she didn't feel great any more her life ended peacefully at home in my arms, loved to her last breath and beyond.
I agree wholeheartedly :)
Veteran mom
New Cat Chatter

Post by Veteran mom »

risotto wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:12 pm I took Toby to the vet as he's become fussy with food and drinking a lot more. Vet has taken bloods and it's his kidneys. She has given him some Royal Canin renal pouches and I can buy them online cheaper if I want. His sister had Royal Canin for something else, eat about 14 pouches and wouldn't touch it again, so I'm nervous - also, thinking about the cost. I just want to know what others options I have - what other wet renal products can I try? If he won't eat renal food, are there any ordinary wet cat foods that may be a little better for him? I've been giving him a little milk, cat milk, cat treats, anything I can get down him over the last month if he's starved himself for hours - can he have any of these or other similar treats to get something down him? Can he have cooked chicken? Also, I gave him a tiny amount of my omelette which got his appetite going the other day Can he have any form of egg? I now fear some of the foods I've been giving so he would eat are causing more harm than good.

I know I've asked loads of questions, so please only answer what anyone can or if you have any general comments that would be great.

Cats and dogs with renal failure actually NEED protein. Vets are just trying to make money off of prescription renal diets. Lack of protein causes wasting. Put your cat or dog on high blood pressure meds and sub Q fluids.

Home pet makes a great anti nausea drop and the miracle drop is Kidney Support Gold.

My cat is 21 and has been proving all the vets wrong for years. Go with your gut and make sure they eat and drink lots of clean fresh spring water.

.The Vet doesn't care about your pet. They care about money. Get 3 different opinions when your cat or dog has ckd.

I know what I'm talking about. I've lost 3 babies to kidney disease and I've learned the hard way how to treat a pet with kidney disease.

Cats and dogs with ckd can live happily for years even after being diagnosed at 19 or 20.

Never give up !!!
Tinsie Mom
New Cat Chatter

Post by Tinsie Mom »

Hello! I'm so sorry to hear about your cat's CKD. I'm not a vet, but I am hoping that my experience with my own CKD cat will maybe help your cat start putting back on some weight.

Once I found out my cat has CKD, I put her strictly on CKD prescription foods. I literally tried EVERY flavor of CKD food from Royal Canin and Science Diet. I tried getting her to eat, but it was really difficult to get her to love and eat much of the foods. (Except for one discontinued flavor of course) She ended up losing 2.5 lbs, from 10lb to 7.5lbs. I could feel all her bones, she was lethargic, and her hair wasn't as soft and shiny. I felt so guilty about forcing her to eat these foods and causing her to drop weight fast....I brought her to the vet to figure out why she wasn't eating and her blood results didn't show any change in her stage 2 CKD (which btw her BUN and Creative levels were just slightly worse than the normal range).

I then went on a mission to find her ANY canned or dried food she would eat to get her to gain the weight back. It's shown that cats under 8 lbs have a statistically significant lower survival weight and was terrified. I started accepting that maybe she only had a year max. She ended up liking canned fancy feast and purina renal (not prescription) and gained back around half a pound. However with these foods came chronic diarrhea, which I initially chalked up to her CKD.

Note: I would DEFINITELY not feed my cat Fancy Feast EVER again. EVERYTIME she ate Fancy Feast she would reliably get the runs.

After realizing that the diarrhea wasn't going away with Fancy Feast, I have since switched her over to chicken thigh/drumstick + 1/2 cup dried Solid Gold brand food. Miraculously she's much better now after having eaten this diet around 1-2months. She's gained back much of her energy and weight back! I'm shocked and delighted. I include the dry food because I do not mix additional calcium or any other supplements into the chicken.

I don't know if this is the best diet in the long run, but I highly recommend pan frying some chicken to see if your cat will take to it in the short term.

At this point, I've given up on prescription diets, canned foods, fancy cooked or raw foods you can purchase at the pet store. I only feed panfried/airfried chicken and dry food for now and she is doing so much better! I find that she doesn't care much for the boiled chicken, but she loves pan fried chicken. I don't use any oil or spices.

My vet also made a bit of a deal about not making her stick with the kidney diets, but I found they did much more harm than help in my cat's case.

Another member stated that the best food for your cat is what they will eat (and also hopefully not vomit or diarrhea up). It seems to be working better than the other methods I have tried.

Btw my cat 18 going on 19 :)
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

As Tanya's Pages says, the best food for your CKD cat is a food they will eat.

My Boo unfortunately is now in symptomatic management of chronic Dire Rear which takes proirity over everything else. He is peeing more so I know it's doing his kidneys no good but something he won't eat or something that gives him the runs and has him back at the vets every fortnight is even worse. Every cat is different, and we have reached the stage where unless he responds to steroids there is not much more we can do for him. He is dearly loved and spoilt (not with food but with love, cuddles and sleep) and one day he will be sorely missed.

It's lovely to hear success stories with chronic illness and different solutions are really helpful to share though. That's where forums like this are so valuable for other ideas than the vet.
TailLove
New Cat Chatter

Post by TailLove »

Risotto I'm so sorry to hear that your fur baby have been struggling with Kidney disease <3

It can be scary when it feels like you don't have a lot of power to help your feline friend feel better. My recommendation would be to ensure that your cat is also drinking filtered water. The mineral content in tap water can sometimes wreak havoc on the fragile kidney and urinary systems of cats.

All the best <3
Magpie+daddy
New Cat Chatter

Post by Magpie+daddy »

I'm so sorry to jump in on this topic but I can't figure out how to start a new one! My cat was just diagnosed with early kidney disease and the vet recommended a dry food and a wet and told me we may have to try multiple foods. Also prescribed Simentra. My cat would not eat any of the first two foods we tried even through I was doing a nine day transition (1/3 new for three days, half for another three, etc). Nothing seemed to work so decided to re-set and just give her the food she's been eating forever and take another go at it in a few days but now she won't eat the old food. She has an appetite because she still devours her treats. The vet told me AFTER I had been giving her the Simentra for about ten days that it can reduce appetite and to stop giving her the medicine as getting her on the new food was more important - I am furious as I would have held off until I transitioned her to the new food (which the vet told me she may not take to easily) and not brought wet into the picture at all as it was only to squirt the Simestra on. Not sure what to do as this is about day 4 - she is eating enough to survive but any thoughts?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Kidney disease affects the appetite, but eating can pick up rapidly once you find the right food - meanwhile the most important thing is to keep her eating and drinking. I found it took some effort - shallow bowls or saucers, very smelly renal food at room temperature, many small, mouse sized meals a day. It took several weeks for Tilly's appetite to pick up but once I found a food she liked she began to get the habit back, and has been doing very well for the last two years on wet and dry renal with extra cooked chicken and beef (chicken thighs with the skin and fat included but the bones removed once cooked are quite low in phosphorus per 100 kcals, as is 20% fat minced beef). If you know she likes chicken I would start with a couple of thighs, and see if she will also drink the water they were cooked in (no salt or other seasoning). Then you will need to experiment to find renal foods she will eat - mine like the Pro Plan cans and sachets, and the Hills K/D dry is not known as kitty crack for nothing. It can get very expensive experimenting when some foods only come in large multi packs though.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Plenty of thoughts, don't worry we'll help you get there.

Was your cat going off her food before she was diagnosed?

Did the vet mention IRIS stage one? Or two?

Did the vet do blood tests, urine tests or both?

To put things into perspective, my first renal cat had 8 healthy years after diagnosis on diet, my second improved before he died of something completely unrelated, and my third is by my side fat and contented having been on normal food for two years since diagnosis and only just started renal food mix a few weeks ago (because her case is a little more complicated). And I have never done more than give renal food and I have never given renal food exclusively, thanks to my first vet whose words are with me forever - "don't make her life a misery" when I asked if fresh meat treats were still allowed.

Don't panic. Between this http://www.felinecrf.org/index.htm which is a brilliant resource and with the interactive discussion of us lot here with all our centuries of experience between us, you and pusscat are in good hands.
Magpie+daddy
New Cat Chatter

Post by Magpie+daddy »

Thanks for the replies and encouragement - she was eating just fine before we brought her to the vet and she still has an appetite - she will eat her treats and just found her on the kitchen counter licking my afternoon snack - she just won't eat her old food and I'm afraid to try the new bag of renal (4th try) I picked up Friday. She passed on Hill's K/D chicken (that was the second food). Vet said her DUN (indicator of short term kidney function) was high and her creatine levels were normal but at the upper end indicating long term significant kidney disease.

What I need to figure out is how t keep her going until we find a food she will eat - she's 15 so I know she's not young.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

It's more important that she eats, than what she eats. The best renal food in the world is no good at all if the cat won't eat it. So if she really won't, or is miserable with it, well, I guess we kind of have to adapt. Was it the Hills k/d dry or wet she doesn't like? Wet and dry foods are not just wet and dry versions of the same, even Pro Plan tins and pouches are different not just in texture but in nutritional compositions, so if she won't accept Hills pouches for example don't let that put you off trying the dry.

My girl went crazy for the Pro Plan canned pate-mousse type food at first and has turned into a plump pudding. Then she backed off and ate much less of it and sort of lost interest. So I bought some of her old treat food that she used to get once a week, and I take one tin of each (186g of the renal and 86g of the trash food) and mix them, then divide into 5 or 6 little pots for individual meals and pop them in the fridge. I am sure she is much better already because her pee clumps are down to about a quarter of the size they were when she was on normal food.

It's easy to focus on the condition and forget the cat among the science. If she still has plenty of appetite for yummy foods but not renal foods, it's ok to compromise, it's even ok to give in, if your priority is her happiness above her health.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Sorry, I'm a bit confused - your initial post said early stage and your second post said significant, there is a difference there, which could affect things like her appetite. Was she just diagnosed with blood tests, as Semintra is normally only beneficial if they are losing protein in the urine, so it might be she doesn't need those at this stage and you can just try and find a food she likes. I find that renal dry goes down better than renal wet, and just changing to renal dry and leaving wet as their old food can be enough to get their values back down (sounds daft, I know). Royal Canin do one called Select that look like dreamies, which can help a lot with appetite issues, they did used to do a sample pack, a mix of all 4 of their wet foods and 3 of their dry, might be worth looking into that.

Are you in America? We call BUN Urea, and actually, high Urea with normal creatnine isn't always kidney issues, things like infection and dehydration can cause it - what made you take her for bloods? Do you have copies of her results?
newie
New Cat Chatter

Post by newie »

I have only recently learnt that my 16 year old cat has renal disease and of course I am devastated as she is my little tonkanese loving companion.She was put on a renal diet and hated it. The last two weeks I found that if I boil some chicken for an hour, store it in the fridge, I can use the broth to spoon over the wet renal pouch food and mash it like babyfood -Bingo! she started eating it with appetite. However I am still giving her some of her old food too as she loves that and I also thought that making her miserable was not going to be good.I am waiting for her next blood test to see how she is going and may explore phosphate binders.
Screen25
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Screen25 »

Thanks for this thread it had helped me no end!

Dolly was diagnosed with CKD stage 2 in June after I noticed an increased intake of water and slight weight loss.

The vet advised a renal diet and so I purchased the Royal Canin renal dried food and a selection of different wet pouches of different brands. Dolly is an EXTREMELY fussy eater anyway with normal foods let alone the renal food! I haven’t had any luck with renal wet apart from one from Germany I found on zooplus. I don’t want to feed that daily in case she gets fed up.

From reading this thread I purchased Ipakitine straight away so that is mixed in with any normal wet food I can get her to eat. I can’t find any senior wet food she will touch so currently it’s mixed with normal adult wet cat food Eg thrive complete chicken tins. Is this ok do you think?

I am still transitioning her royal canin sensible dry with royal canin renal dry and currently now on about 60% renal mix. I’m doing It very very slowly. I’ve also considered the Hills K/d dry. Does this have a better success rate and taste?? I also saw on zooplus they do renal select and renal special. Even though I’m currently transitioning on normal royal canin renal - I want her to be on the one she will accept and eat the most of as she always seems to accept dry food better than wet so I want to get this part of her diet correct as this is where the intake of renal food will be the greatest. Which one out of all these usually has the best success rate?!

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Dolly is ok in herself and bouncing around. Doesn’t seem to have lost any further weight and I feel like she isn’t drinking as much
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Hello and welcome! Sounds like you are very vigilant and have caught it early. Royal Canin and Hills both do an early renal food, do take vets advice because if it's early stage then early renal might be more appropriate. Their needs change as the disease progresses, for example at first their potassium tends to be low and in late stages it often goes high. So don't throw everything you have at it, stages, testing, appropriate treatment.

For the same reasons I would check with the vet about the Ipakitine.

All my cats have sworn by Hills dry. As I detailed earlier, my first had 8 healthy years on it when it was quite a new development and there were really no other options. Other cats wandering in have always found it irresistible. My last boy loved it and Molly loved it and now because of possible arthritic changes she has switched to Hills k/d + Mobility and that's going down very well too, in fact she is rather a podge. I have never needed to try any other brand of dry.

Wet is a different story, everyone seems to make one and very few cats seem to accept any one of them for a short time! You can mix it with something else, I was mixing Pro-Plan with Gourmet Gold for months until 2 weeks ago when Molly said, Nah, bored of that. Some samples that I exchanged with a friend went down ok but not well enough to buy.

Again as I detailed earlier, the best renal food in the world is no good at all if the cat won't eat it, so the best food for a ckd cat is the closest to renal support that the cat will eat. So don't get too hung up and anxious about it all, just do what you reasonably can.

How old is your cat and did the vet say anything about how advanced it is? Some talk stages, others call it mild or early etc.
Screen25
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Screen25 »

Thanks for reply!

My vet said early stages of CKD but also said ‘stage 2’.

The renal dry food and the different sachets of the different brands were bought directly from vets themselves but I since bought a brand called
Integra from zooplus which is renal with low phosphorus. I talked with my vet about Ipakitine in food and she said that’s ok and try to keep to senior food if I can but she doesn’t touch it as not many brands make senior food. She won’t go near whiskas, Felix, nature’s menu etc. So I think my best hope is that she gets most of the renal diet via the dry and then normal food with Ipakitine. I just went the most palatable dry I can get as I have a feeling as I start withdrawing more of her normal dry from the mix and more
Renal she’s going to go off it.
Screen25
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Screen25 »

Sorry - well I’ve had her six years and she was a rescue cat with an approx age of 2.5 years at the time, however a vet said soon after I had her he thought she was a bit older than 2.5 years due to state on her teeth so minimum 8.5 years old maybe more like 9/9.5/10?! Who knows she’s a tiny little thing that looks like a kitten!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Ok so she might be a little on the young side though my first was diagnosed at 8 and I do know she was 8.

It would be a really good project to set up a food trial pack club, where everyone puts in all the foods their cats won't eat and it gets sent out in small trial packs to people who need to change their cat's diet and dread the inevitable expensive turned up nose.

Have you tried putting down a bowl of unmixed dry, just the renal dry on its own, and see if she eats it?

I've never been too strict with renal food, or with any prescription diet food come to that. The way I see it, it's a progressive degenerative incurable organ failure, and we can slow it down to give good quality of life for longer. But that's the point - good quality of life, good health. So if they won't eat what's good for them, what do you do - battle and stress to squeeze more time to battle and stress? Or relax and enjoy the time we have and live it to the full with the best diet they will eat happily and enjoy? As my first vet said - don't make her life a misery.
Last edited by Mollycat on Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Screen25
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Screen25 »

How quickly do they go down? I wonder how long I have left with her :-(
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm glad you have found some renal food she will eat - my second renal cat mainly ate dry food, so we changed her dry food and left her on adult wet (she barely ate a pouch a day) and her numbers went back into normal limits so sometimes only changing the dry can be enough, especially at the early stages. Lucy, my current renal cat, wasn't a big fan of wet food when I got her, and I had to get 50g pouches as she barely ate more than that, but when she was first diagnosed, she would happily eat a whole pouch of renal wet. She's been a bit fussy this year, I was giving her all sorts to tempt her, took her for blood tests to be told off as she had put weight on so the vet didn't do her bloods, so not sure of her current levels, but agree with the vet that if her kidneys were declining, she wouldn't gain that much weight! Lucy has had about 6 kinds of renal wet and probably that amount of renal dry, until this year, don't think there are any she hasn't liked.

Lucy was diagnosed at 9, and she is 14 this year, hers are only picked up on the SDMA test, on a traditional kidney function test, hers are fine, and all we've done in the last 5 years is a diet change (she can't have purely renal either, due to another health issue, so her wet is a mix of adult and senior at the moment, was adult, senior and renal, and her dry is 95% renal with a few calm biscuits and dental biscuits, she gets renal treats too, RC do one that look like dreamies)
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Screen25 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:10 pm How quickly do they go down? I wonder how long I have left with her :-(
My Misha was diagnosed at 8 years old and had a perfectly normal life for another 8 years. Food back then was not as advanced as it is now and I have never been strict anyway, she always had meat titbits.

Chronic renal failure really is not the death sentence we hear when we first hear those words.

Have a read of this website and keep it to hand for reference, it's too much to take in all at once! http://www.felinecrf.org/index.htm

PS I don't see any red flags about any side effects but I would always check with vets and get a urine sample tested before starting ckd cats on protein or phosphate binders. They aren't always needed and personally I'm not keen on throwing meds at cats if they aren't needed. For cats in early stage, try the diet first, get settled and see how much that helps, sometimes it's all they need for months or years.
Screen25
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Screen25 »

I don’t really know what to do, she’s not eating much at all currently, she’s got an appetite as she comes running for the food but either sniffs and walks away or just nibbles. I don’t really know what to do as I’m having to put the CKD on the back burner and just trying to get to eat anything but even foods she kind of ate before (which weren’t many) she doesn’t even want to touch now.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

What brand of dry are you transitioning her onto?

Molly has had trial tasters of other brands but the Hills has never failed me. A renal dry and a normal wet will help, basically anything you can persuade her will help, and it is hard with some cats so you aren't failing if she refuses some - you are succeeding if she will accept some.

Has her urine output reduced at all since you started trying to get her onto renal food?

Another thought on "how fast do they go downhill" - Molly first showed as ckd in March 2019 and I did nothing at all about it for two years until March this year 2021 after she had her dental and the vet suggested she go on it now. So she has been on renal dry ever since with the option to pick at digestive support dry when she feels she needs it, and renal wet mixed with normal food. But her urine output was at least halved immediately so I know the partial renal support is helping.
Screen25
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Screen25 »

I never used to worry much even though she’s always been extremely fussy with wet,as she would eat mainly royal canin sensible dry with whatever wet I could get her to eat. She would always used to leave most of the wet even before CKD diagnosis but it didn’t bother me as she would tuck right into the dry.

Since CKD diagnosis she has royal canin sensible dry and royal canin renal dry mixed together as I’m slowly transitioning. However - now she won’t barely touch ANY wet at all not even the brand she kind of ate before (she barely liked any before but now it’s worse) but now I feel like it’s an issue as she doesn’t even really top it up with the dry like she used to, so I’m assuming she doesn’t like the renal dry that’s mixed in.

I read that lack of appetite is a side effect of CKD, but mixed with an already extremely fussy eater in having a nightmare.

I’ve ordered the Hills kidney dry from the vets as I’ve read here some cats like it so I’ll try that. At least if she does like that she will top up with this when she leaves any wet food like she used to.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

If she is being fussy, it might be worth keeping the dry in two separate bowls, so you can see what she is eating, and maybe try the Royal Canin Select, which are like dreamies and designed for fussy eaters - they only seem to sell it in 2kg bags, but they did used to do a Royal Canin mixed pack that had 200g bags of the three dry foods, 2 of each flavour pouch and 2 tins, think it was a vet only product for some bizarre reason, but if she likes the Hills, I would buy it online, despite being prescription foods, they can be bought online without a prescription, at a fraction of the price.
Screen25
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Screen25 »

Sorry me again.

Does anyone here have experience Here of the cat urinating outside the litter tray. Dolly has occasionally urinated outside the tray and it seems to have resumed the past two days once with her peeing on a towel on the floor and she has just urinated in the bath tub. There is no blood or crystals. Other than this she has been using her litter tray as normal. She started doing this immediately after her diagnosis two months ago but the vet said it could be stress due to the number of vet visits at that time,She hasn’t done it for the past month so I assumed it was stress however the past two days she is now done it twice. Do you think this is related to the condition?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Weeing outside the tray can be a sign of a urinary infection, which are more common with kidney issues, so might be worth either getting a vet visit, or taking a urine sample up for testing. There can be traces of blood that we can't see, and I don't think you can see crystals without a microscope