Is my cat pregnant?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
willowdragon
Frequent Cat Chatter

Is my cat pregnant?

Post by willowdragon »

We adopted an unspayed female bengal on January 26th from a family who declared they "couldn't meet her needs." I found out they have a male cat, but I didn't think at the time to ask if HE was neutered.
Scarlett has been affectionate the whole time. She came to us 3.6kg. In 4 weeks, being fed an exact measurement of food according to calculations based on raw food to healthy weight ratio (I mean I have been meticulous), she became 4.08kg within 4 weeks.
In the past 2 weeks she has suddenly become UBER affectionate. Last Sunday I noticed her abdomen is distended, and feels pretty solid both sides. I naturally worried for her health, but she is eating well. She threw up what we believed to be a hairball once 2 weeks ago. And in the past week her appetite has markedly increased. we also noticed over the last week or so her nipples are more prominent.
She's 5 years old. We assumed she is in heat, but everyone said she should be making some really loud calls and she's been pretty silent, especially at night.

Is it possible these are all symptoms of just being in heat? Or that we've perhaps over fed her, and also now she's settled she's demanding more food and cuddles? Or is it more likely that she's pregnant?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Is my cat pregnant?

Post by Lilith »

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice ... endar.html

Hi, this is a good source of info.

Cat pregnancy takes 63 days - so even if she was mated just before she left her previous home, she'd be pretty far on by now, but you never know.

I'd advise a vet check to put you out of your suspense; it's really the only way to tell unless you know a cat rescue worker or breeder who'd be able to look at her. The prominent nipples tend to occur fairly early on in pregnancy, and they tend to be pink too.

A friend's Siamese came into call - and never uttered. And when these guys call - they call! She was allowed to roam too, and went off and got herself pregnant with the neighbourhood stud ... But that's another story. But a 'quiet' call isn't impossible; I do hope that this is the case, for all your sakes - and if it is, once she stops calling, I'd get her spayed as it is extremely frustrating for a girl not to be mated; it spoils their temperament and health.

Lol, the first time I owned a cat in call (and her stomach was distended too) I thought she was in labour and after a day of it, rushed her to the vet in case she was in difficulties ... :oops:

Good luck, and please let us know how you go on.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'd get her vet checked, and if she isn't, get her neutered asap, it should have been done when you first got her, there are health risks to being unneutered.
willowdragon
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by willowdragon »

I'm not here for your judgement.