Cat having problems

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
tylor19
New Cat Chatter

Cat having problems

Post by tylor19 »

Hi please no harsh comments as i'm really stuck for what to do :(
My female cat Lyla is a lilac point ragdoll who's been in my family for three years and she is my baby! She had a litter of 4 kittens 5 weeks ago (her first litter) But since then she has had the runs constantly, is pooing and weeing wherever she feels like it (all over the carpet in full view) her stomach is slightly swollen but it could possibly be the extreme amount of food she is eating. She is raiding the bin for food and eating 8 pouches of food a day on top of ham/tuna/chicken etc i give her! She only has three kittens to feed now as one sadly passed away, but her appetite has increased! I have wormed her recently as i first assumed this was the culprit, but it hasn't made a difference :( She also has a cream coloured discharge.
I am incredibly concerned for her, but financial concerns mean i cannot possibly afford a vet trip. I really don't know what to do! As one kitten was put to sleep and another had an infection I have already borrowed all the money i can to pay for these and can't afford anymore. I have two small children so the constant feaces is a cause for extreme concern. Please anyone advise me x
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Cat having problems

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Dear Tylor, you know your little girl needs to go to the vet. She could be very poorly and her babies need her to be well, and she needs to be safe and well, and you will be heartbroken if she doesn't get better and her babies are left without their Mummy. Are you in the UK? If so, please try to get to Blue Cross, PDSA or RSPCA with your girl. Or if you vet knows what is happening he/she might realise that it's an emergency and could organise instalments for you to pay. If you are in the US, there may be similar organisations. Hopefully Jill (Peanut's mum) will read this and she may have some ideas if you are US too. Is there a ragdoll association that might help you? Do you have friends who could help you out with paying for treatment for your girl for a while? Tell us where you are and we might be able to come up with some more ideas, but it is really crucial little Lyla gets to the vet, and I'm sure all our friends on here will agree. That's not being harsh, it's just true, and you know your girl needs help.

Please keep in touch. Wishing you and your little girl and her babies all the best for the coming days. We are on your side!

Sarah
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Diana »

The only advice we will give here...is get her to the vets ASAP!!!

There are charities that will help you with vets bills or you could possibly set up a payment plan with the vets. It's the only way really to help her. In the meantime switch her to bland food right away such as chicken, rice, white fish.

But the vets are the best bet
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Tylor,

I would think that all these symptoms are likely related to post-partum problems and she may have some tearing or infection which is causing these symptoms. A discharge after birth is normal for about 10 days it seems, but this seems too long.

At the very least, phone the vet nurse. Ask for an opinion, describing the problems. Then you will have an idea what you are dealing with - tell them you're out of money and what are your options - but start by getting an opinion...

This might be useful:

http://www.petplace.com/cats/vaginal-di ... page1.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-he ... n-cats/330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't want to scare you unnecessarily, especially as she seems otherwise well, but if it's a cream discharge it can be pus and indicate a uterine infection (pyometra) which can be fatal and the treatment seems to be to spay ASAP. This is difficult if she's nursing of course - but you need advice as the last thing you want is to lose your mum...

On a separate issue I'm not surprised she is hungry, and the amount of milk needed for 3 five week growing kittens is a lot more than for 4 newborns.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I can only echo what everyone else has said - your cat needs to get to the vet ASAP; please!
Pinkglitter1
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Pinkglitter1 »

I echo the advice from everyone-definitely take her to the vets. Once, when I was completely skint, my vet let me bring my cat in and I was able to pay him on payday-the welfare of your cat is the most important. RSPCA hospital or Blue Cross would be able to help. Definitely try her on bland chicken breast and see how you get on after talking to the vets.

For the poo stains, try some vanish carpet cleaner. If you lived in London, I would lend you my amazing VAX steam cleaner, brings the floors up like new.

Everybody's advice is said with kindness xx