CKD and lifespan?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
risotto
Frequent Cat Chatter

CKD and lifespan?

Post by risotto »

As some of you will be aware from my other thread, my boy has been diagnosed with CKD. For those who've been through this, can you tell me how long your cat survived after diagnoses or how long they've had it for? Also, what were they like in their final months/weeks if you don't mind me asking?

He's a good age anyway, but after a bad night with him licking his lips, calling out to be let in the bathroom (after a drink even though there's some downstairs and outside) and then up to feed him (which I don't mind as I want him to eat), I wonder where he will go from here.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: CKD and lifespan?

Post by Janey »

We’ve adopted quite a few oldies in the past, and I think they’ve lived a few years, depending when it’s picked up, what stage etc.
Just a thought, but have you got a water fountain? Most of my oldies have loved them and I think they do encourage them to drink more.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

It varies from cat to cat - unfortunately it is an emotional rollercoaster. Fingers crossed he has a better night.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

My experience is many years old now, but my first cat Sally was diagnosed with CKD and she had to be PTS about 2 months later (aged 17yr 11m). She had been tested 6 months earlier, and no kidney trouble found. However, in those days (nearly 20 years ago) diagnostic methods were not as good as they are today - apparently her kidney function could have been down to 30% before the tests showed anything. 5 years later my Misty was also diagnosed with CKD when aged 14 (give or take a bit, his age was not exactly known). He survived for a year and had to be PTS due to a brain tumor, not due to his kidney trouble. Although blind, he was quite happy doing what old cats do best - sleeping in the sun in summer time and by the radiator in winter and pottering about at other times. He also kept his appetite for Honey's dinner - he was not wildly keen on the special kidney food the vets gave me, but did eat it if there was nothing else!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Tommy's CKD was confirmed in the February, we lost him at the end of December. We think he had it for sometime before, as he went into a slow decline.

He was up and down all year, but Christmas saw a slow, steady decline - we knew his time had come.
risotto
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by risotto »

booktigger, thanks he did have a better night - in fact, neither cat woke up us which is a rarity.

I suspect he's had it a while as he's slowly lost weight over the last 18 months. I got him checked in the summer and vet and tests could find nothing wrong. At that time he was passing liquid on the bed and as he was dribbling from his mouth occasionally we thought it was that, but I now realise it was probably his kidneys leaking. Then recently him and his sister have been really fussy with food, and to start with I thought the extra drinking was because he was taking in less wet cat food.

I know things aren't going to be easy with him now, but obviously I worry if he's suffering. The main symptoms seem to be thirst, nausea, leaking urine and the odd twitching. He seems happy on the outside, so I guess I'll know when his time is up.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Have you found Tanya's CRF website? http://www.felinecrf.org/index.htm

It's full of information, including what to expect as the end is nearing.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

risotto wrote:booktigger, thanks he did have a better night - in fact, neither cat woke up us which is a rarity.

I suspect he's had it a while as he's slowly lost weight over the last 18 months. I got him checked in the summer and vet and tests could find nothing wrong. At that time he was passing liquid on the bed and as he was dribbling from his mouth occasionally we thought it was that, but I now realise it was probably his kidneys leaking. Then recently him and his sister have been really fussy with food, and to start with I thought the extra drinking was because he was taking in less wet cat food.

I know things aren't going to be easy with him now, but obviously I worry if he's suffering. The main symptoms seem to be thirst, nausea, leaking urine and the odd twitching. He seems happy on the outside, so I guess I'll know when his time is up.
Have the vets given you anything for nausea? I've never had one that leaks urine unfortunately.
risotto
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by risotto »

No the vet hasn't prescribed anything, but in all fairness I haven't pushed this point as I didn't realise at the time there was anything available.

He's had a good couple of days, eating better than he has in months suddenly (a couple of times with encouragement), not disturbing us in the night, no nausea, foaming sick - long may it last. His sister has hyperthyroidism and has woken me up asking for food (she's often ignored), but I've got up to check on Toby (as he's been quiet) - at that point I've given them both a little food to eat so wondering if it helps him feel better having a little snack in the night.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'd ask them for something for the nausea, as that will help his appetite.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

My cat Lola was diagnosed with CKD at the age of 6 and died at the age of nearly 17 from a totally different problem. Till the end her kidneys were alright and creatinine and BUN were inside their ranges or just borderline.
We followed the vet's instructions for her whole life, that is Renal food, sub-q every second day, tablets for CKD, frequent blood checks. Then I also added in some probiotics and vitamin B that it seems helped her a lot.