New cat terrorising our girl

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

New cat terrorising our girl

Post by emmab »

We adopted Diabolo in November. He is coming on great after a very timid start. However the problem we have now is he chases Gemo in from the garden at speed. She seems happy when he is not around but we are concerned he is taunting her too much. She is always aware of him when he is indoors but can never seem to be near Diabolo when he does it to her. I have seen him from a distance do it and he does get too boisterous with her. She hisses at him apart from when they are eating and sometimes he spooks her by following her around the coffee table and then pounces on her. What can I do please? I don't want Gemo stressed by him.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: New cat terrorising our girl

Post by Kay »

Real agression is signalled by bottle brush tails, arched backs, swishing tails and growling, rather than bopping paws, chasing and hissing, so you may find their interaction is not really that negative

Domesticated cats can lead rather boring lives, and a bit of fisticuffs can actually be a positive in making things more exciting for them

So I would say keep an eye on them but don't assume the worst too readily
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Gemo is quite jumpy, especially at night. He chases her back indoors and this morning I notice she has what looks like an abcess on her tail. Past experience with another cat tells me she has been bitten at the base of her tail, so a trip to the vets is on the cards. The main problem is she hisses at him and swipes him if he gets too close but Diabolo chases here and is quite aggressive with her. If it is him just being a bit boisterous and a bit of a lad he certainly doesn't seem to be doing it in a playful way.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Well Gemo has an abcess on the base of her tale after a fight, I am presuming with Diabolo. Typical as this always happens days before we go away. Vet has given her Kesium but not drained it as she said we had caught it early although she still has quite a lumps and quite noticeable through her fur on her tail. How long does Kesium take to kick in? She has to take 2 a day for 10 days.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi there, I don't know - but as with any antibiotic and especially with an obviously visible abscess, she needs to finish the course.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

I thought I was seeing a quiet period and Gemo and Diabolo were, well, not getting on, but accepting each other a little but they have just had quite a big "to do". Problem is Diabolo stalks Gemo. If he sees her coming up the garden he stalks the cat flap from inside. We tell him off but cannot seem to stop the problem. Gemo must be getting so stressed bless her. Last night too Diabolo got into a fight with another cat outside so seems to go looking for trouble.
How can we sort this out, or can't we?