Older Cat in Poor Health

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
wanderingstorm
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Older Cat in Poor Health

Post by wanderingstorm »

Hello, new to this forum so bear with me. :D

I have a 16 1/2 year old spayed calico who just recently has gone downhill. About two weeks ago I took her to the vet after I noticed lethargy and lack of eating -- the day I made the appointment I also noticed constipation as she was unable to produce a BM and I saw her straining to do so.

The vet confirmed constipation and also discovered a mass or swelling in her anal gland. He did a full workup of labs and found all of them to be normal and it was his opinion that the mass was an infection and not cancerous. He put her on fluids and antibiotics and kept her for two days to give her two enemas to clean out the large amount of hard stool.

When she came home, she was wobbly on her back legs and still lethargic and not eating. Not a surprise given what she'd been through. The day after she came home I left on a planned vacation and left her in the care of my mother. After two days of her still not really eating or moving much I advised Mom to take her back to the vet, who gave her more fluids and instructed my mother on how to force feed her with a syringe until she had some nutrients in her to get some energy. This worked marginally.

I returned home a few days ago -- a full week after her initial vet visit -- and she is still very weak and lethargic. She's not eating much at all - a few bites at most -- and she is still extremely wobbly on her back legs. It almost seems like partial paralysis. She can walk but her right foot/leg seems to not work right and she will stumble a lot when she walks. Her tail also seems to no longer be able to function normally - it just "hangs" there limply. She does have feeling in her feet and will pull away if I try to mess with them. They are warm but her tail feels colder than I think it should. She does not appear to be in pain. She's losing weight and is down to skin and bones and doesn't seem interested in anything but sleeping on one blanket or another. I have seen her urinate but I have yet to catch her having a BM - which makes me worry she's just going to get constipated again.

We're going back to the vet in a few days for a follow up but I wonder if anyone has had an older cat with this type of problem. I'm beginning to think I'm just "prolonging the inevitable" and I'm not willing to just let her waste away in the hopes that she "might" get better. Any advice would be appreciated.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Older Cat in Poor Health

Post by meriad »

Sorry to hear your girl isn't doing well :(

Has the vet done an xray to see if something is affecting her spine / spinal cord? That would be my next step

Fusses to your girl
wanderingstorm
New Cat Chatter

Post by wanderingstorm »

Yes, he did one originally to see if the mass on her gland was cancerous and had spread elsewhere but found no abnormalities. I wonder if all the "manipulation" down there from the enemas and rectal examinations could have caused it? I was worried about a saddle thrombosis or something as I know that can happen with cats but she has shown none of the obvious symptoms of it -- the cries of pain and/or complete paralysis.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

If all bloods were done and xray and no neurological issues, then it sounds like the after effects of the procedure to me too. Hopefully things will settle down in a few days, if not you could take her back just to make sure. I hope she’s much better soon, poor girl.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'd get her back sooner, for a check up
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

I'm inclined to agree, I think I'd get her back to the vet or at least call them and explain what's happening, she shouldn't be like that.
wanderingstorm
New Cat Chatter

Post by wanderingstorm »

Thank you all for your replies. Unfortunately, as she has not gotten better and appears to be slowly fading, I made the decision today to let her go. Tomorrow will be her last day. She's had a wonderful life and I will miss her greatly, but I want to do what is best for my sweet girl.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Very sorry to hear, it's always dreadful to let them go but it shows your love and courage - soon she will be free of her failing body and a young vigorous cat again, please give her a love from me and hugs to you x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

So sorry to hear that. I do agree completely with Lilith. Make the most of that last day - lots of hugs and fusses.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

I too am sorry. Gentle fusses from me and thinking of you tomorrow x
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry to hear that.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

thinking of you today :(
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Me too x
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Just caught up with this one and I can only add my thoughts to those offered by the rest. It is the hardest decision any of us pet owners have to make and it never gets any easier. I can only add that she has obviously had a good life and the best thing for her now is a peaceful end.