Cat not feeling good

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
SariahCarey
New Cat Chatter

Cat not feeling good

Post by SariahCarey »

Hi guys, this is my first post, just looking for some advice.

My boy, Lucas, is acting really strange today. He seems really tired, he hardly wants to be touched, and he won't eat anything. He hasn't been throwing up except for one hairball this morning and he has used the littler box. He is 3 years old and I've had him since he was a kitten, the only time he has ever seemed "sick" like this was about 3 weeks ago the day after he had his vaccinations (Which they told me is normal) but he has been fine since then until today. Could this be a delayed reaction to the vaccines again? Or something different? I know cats get tummy aches sometimes and I might be over reacting but I hate when he doesn't feel good and with cats you never know if there is something more going on...

I'm wondering if I should take him into the vet or how long I should wait to see if he feels better on his own? I'm reluctant to take him in because we live in the middle of nowhere and I'm worried the hour+ car ride will only make him feel worse.

Any thoughts/experiences you have would be greatly appreciated : )
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Cat not feeling good

Post by bobbys girl »

Hello and welcome to CC. How long has Lucas been like this? I know vaccines can upset cats, but you said he was not well after the vaccine but OK since? Is there anything different in his environment? New plants, flowers, cleaning products, foods?

You say he does not want to be touched. Is that in general or does he appear sore anywhere? Our Gracie has had, on two occasions, an abscess on her bum from a cat whack (her own fault :roll: ). When this happened, the first we knew about it was she went very quiet and didn't want to be touched on her back or bum.

If this goes on or gets any worse, I would get him to the vets.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

and try feeling his ears, as they often feel hot if the cat has a raised temperature
SariahCarey
New Cat Chatter

Post by SariahCarey »

bobbys girl wrote:Hello and welcome to CC. How long has Lucas been like this? I know vaccines can upset cats, but you said he was not well after the vaccine but OK since? Is there anything different in his environment? New plants, flowers, cleaning products, foods?

You say he does not want to be touched. Is that in general or does he appear sore anywhere? Our Gracie has had, on two occasions, an abscess on her bum from a cat whack (her own fault :roll: ). When this happened, the first we knew about it was she went very quiet and didn't want to be touched on her back or bum.

If this goes on or gets any worse, I would get him to the vets.
He doesn't seem like he's in any pain and I couldn't find any scratches or bumps or anything, more like he just doesn't want to be bothered which is strange for him. He's usually very affectionate. He has been like this for about 12 hours now, he hasn't had anything to eat and a little water.
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by issiandarchie+68 »

Hi Sariah, sorry to hear about your wee pet. 12hrs is a long time in cat terms not to eat and to drink very little, have a temperature. He needs fluids as soon as possible as it could affect his kidneys.. I agree with bobbys girl,would get him to the Vet. Don't automatically fear the worst though. My cat Gandhi, had the same symptoms a couple of weeks back, kept 'hacking'. Turned out he had been chewing the curled decorative plastic coated ribbon on a large parcel, got stuck in his tooth, ripped off parcel and swallowed. Right as rain after bringing it up.

Issi