18 year old cat suddenly lethargic and off food :(

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Moonshine25
Frequent Cat Chatter

18 year old cat suddenly lethargic and off food :(

Post by Moonshine25 »

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice, our lovely 18 year old cat, William, has become suddenly lethargic and weak overnight and seems 'different'. He is an indoor cat (by choice for the last 4 months) he just no longer wants to goes outside and enjoys being lazy and pampered inside, so I know he has not ingested anything unusual.

Although he is 18 he has ALWAYS had a healthy appetite, he is up and active miaowing for his breakfast from around 6:30 am everyday and fussing for treats all day long. He also likes playing, laser pointer and with his mouse toys, for short periods of time. He normally eats three sachets of Felix Senior a day and sometimes a few munchies, he drinks plenty of water. He has never been ill, only vets visits have been for accidents due to fighting with other cats back in his outdoor days ;) He occasionally brings up a hair ball and I think has vomited about once in the last few months due to eating too many munchies! He also keeps himself very well groomed and enjoys being brushed too.

However this morning when I went into his bedroom he was curled up silent and just looked at me, no jumping off the bed miowing, no fussing for food, I tried him with a few different flavours of food but he just looked away. He had been to the toilet in the night and his poo looked normal, I lifted him off the bed and he urinated in his litter tray, again a normal amount, no straining, no blood. He has not vomited. His heart rate and breathing seemed as normal, although for the last few years he has sometimes seemed a bit 'wheezy'. Its hard to explain but he was just not himself at all, so weak, just wanting to sleep and not wanting food- so completely out of character. I know he is an old cat but he really never acts like this at all! :(

I think we should take him to the vets today as it is such a dramatic change, my partner thinks he might just have a cold or be a bit under the weather and we should just watch and wait.

I was just wondering if any other catchat users have any advice on this? Or experience with their cats becoming suddenly lethargic.

Thank you. X
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: 18 year old cat suddenly lethargic and off food :(

Post by Janey »

Hi there, poor lad he does sound a bit off it today. It may be nothing much, as your partner says, probably just having an off day like we have. However, if he’s no better by later today I would book him to see the vet, especially as he’s an elderly lad. Has he had full bloods recently?
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by AndyMac »

Hi my 12 yo cat turned sick overnight last year and was diagnosed with Triaditis an inflammation of her pancreas and other organs. She was great the day before but had been vomiting on and off for a few days and assumed it was hairballs. She woke me up trying to get onto my bed and collapsed on the floor. I lifted her onto the bed and she just lay there - I thought she was dying. I took her straight to the vet who diagnosed her condition and kept her in for a few days on a drip. I got her home and she has been great since. I would advise seeking the vets opinion and hoping your cat will be OK.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi there and welcome. Yes, I'd certainly want to keep a close eye on him today in view of his age and the sudden change in him; what about making an appointment provisionally and just seeing how he goes on; then if you do need to take him in, you've got the slot booked. I think the vet surgery would understand.

Sorry to hear the poor old chap's not feeling well; as Janey has said, at that age they can have off-days and I hope he's soon back to normal - please let us know how he goes on :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'd get him booked in ASAP with his age - hopefully it is nothing, but better to be safe than sorry. Cats are so good at hiding things.
Moonshine25
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Moonshine25 »

Hello all,

Thank you so much for your replies :) luckily I was able to leave work early so have been home keeping an eye on him, managed to persuade him to eat a half a Felix satchet and a bit of tuna! And he is going to the loo in his litter tray no problem and able to walk around. Still very sleepy but that is normal for him during the day, will monitor him for the rest of the day and see how he gets on overnight. I think I panicked a bit as our other cat had cancer and towards the end wouldn't eat anything at all :( so I always assume the worst if a cat goes off his food! Hopefully he is just having an off day though

Like some of you have said I think it might be worth getting a vet check up for him, even if he improves now, just because he is quite old and not had full bloods or check up for a long time (not sure of how long he used to belong to my parents-in-law).

Thank you again! X
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww that's good news! :D

At that age you do worry about them - I agree a checkup wouldn't come amiss, but very glad to hear he's brighter, and eating too :D
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Glad to hear he’s eaten something and seems ok. Definitely worth booking in for senior bloods doing just to keep a check. Give him a snuggle from me :)
risotto
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by risotto »

Also, glad he's eaten something - just keep encouraging him with this and obviously if he doesn't pick up get him to the vet ASAP. By the way, it's better to panic unnecessarily than not do anything at all!
Moonshine25
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Moonshine25 »

Thank you all for your well wishes :) he has just eaten some more tuna and is now moving around a bit more, much more alert and meowing more too, seems more his normal self, but I think getting a quick check up and bloods is a good plan.
And yes I agree best to panic than miss something for sure! X
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Glad he's perked up, I'd still try and get him in this week
Didi
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Didi »

Glad he has perked up hopefully he was just having an off day. I know you shouldn't really project human values and behaviours on our cats but just like humans have days when they just want to stay in bed all day I think our cats do as well - well mine does !!
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Only just seen this thread. I would certainly advise getting him checked up. Have you checked to see whether William has become anemic - are his tongue and gums unusually pale?
Moonshine25
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Moonshine25 »

Thank all for your well wishes, his gums etc seem pink as normal. Today he has woken up his usual self, alert, fussing for food, eating, drinking, meowing etc... fingers crossed it was just an off day yesterday :) although still very strange! Will see what the vet says as he is due a check up anyway. X