Claws and carpet!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Suzynick
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Claws and carpet!

Post by Suzynick »

Hi
My indoor cat Alfie has taken to scratching the hell out of our new carpets :( If I had known how much he would do it I think I would have got laminate! In particular its the usual bottom of the stairs but he is doing it every time he has one of his mad dashes round the house, or wants our attention.
I have positioned his scratching post and cardboard scratching at the bottom of the stairs but its not working.
He's now been banished to our kitchen/diner during the day when we are at work, which can't be any good for him as apart from two garden walks a day and being allowed out when we get back from work, it can't be much fun stuck in the one room.
A few of his claws don't retract due to an incident with him being chased years ago, does clipping them shorter help or does anyone have any better ideas?
Thanks!
Suzanne
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Claws and carpet!

Post by Alice »

Strips of double sided tape are usually very effective, as cats hate the sticky feel when their paws touch it. I've used it a number of times, often at the bottom of the stairs, like your problem area, for various cats and it's always worked. It's well worth trying. Best of luck - hope you sort it before there's any real damage to your new carpets.
Suzynick
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Suzynick »

Alice wrote:Strips of double sided tape are usually very effective, as cats hate the sticky feel when their paws touch it. I've used it a number of times, often at the bottom of the stairs, like your problem area, for various cats and it's always worked. It's well worth trying. Best of luck - hope you sort it before there's any real damage to your new carpets.
Thanks Alice, I had completely forgot about double sided tape! The only thing I had thought of but not tried was somehow fixing perspex to the bottom of the stairs.
vic23
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vic23 »

There is a new product on the market by the manufacturers of Feliway, which can be sprayed on furniture etc to stop scratching - I'm going to purchase some as my cat Daisy has basically ruined two carpets, 1 (almost 2!) sofas!:

https://www.monsterpetsupplies.co.uk/ca ... 0wodA_YA6g
Suzynick
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Suzynick »

vic23 wrote:There is a new product on the market by the manufacturers of Feliway, which can be sprayed on furniture etc to stop scratching - I'm going to purchase some as my cat Daisy has basically ruined two carpets, 1 (almost 2!) sofas!:

https://www.monsterpetsupplies.co.uk/ca ... 0wodA_YA6g
Thanks that looks like it might be worth a try!