Cats with Neurological Problems - Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Reebud
New Cat Chatter

Cats with Neurological Problems - Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome

Post by Reebud »

Hi, I've just joined this forum to see if anyone else is experiencing what my cat is. My tom who has just turned 1 was a perfectly sweet and very affectionate cat until a few weeks ago when he came in growling and hissing and turning round quickly as though something were attacking his tail/back end. I promptly took him to the vet who said he may have an abscess and administered a pain-killing injection along with a 5 day course of antibiotics. I was fairly sure he didn't have an abscess but at least he'd been given something for the pain he seemed to be experiencing. When I got home in the evening he was no better. He'd be his sweet self for a few minutes taking all the affection you could give, then it was like a invisible cat was attacking him, soooo upsetting to see. He did not actually make contact with his tail so no physical damage. I looked around the internet and found this Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome, which is a rare neurological disorder. Some of the symptoms other cats experienced seemed to match my Buddy's, but not all. I did realise though that the symptoms seems to vary from cat to cat. I called and left a message for my Vet asking if this could be what was happening. He obviously investigated what FHS is but disagreed and said if the cat was still having these episodes that I would need to book him in for a complete examination under sedation to rule out anything physical. It seems FHS is the diagnosis given when they've ruled out any physical issues. Gabapentin was the drug most mentioned on the net and this is what my cat has been prescribed. My Vet had to order it in specially. He reluctantly agreed that it could be a form of FHS. My Bud was on 0.4ml twice a day, but after a week of very little improvement, I increased the dose to 0.5ml twice a day, which seems to lessen the episodes significantly but not entirely. Please post if you have experienced similar with your cat
LittlePenBigHeart
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Cats with Neurological Problems - Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome

Post by LittlePenBigHeart »

I've never heard of it before but it sounds like what's been going on with one of my cats too! She's been like it for her whole life so far (she's just over a year old). She'll be laid down, then suddenly she'll jump up and make a kind of yowling noise and start leaping about, making occasional digs towards her back end. Then she'll just stop after running around like a mad thing! She also has a weird thing that if she scratches herself, her tongue flicks out of her mouth at the same time, and if we scratch her from the middle of her back downwards, she starts licking at the air!

Wondering now if it might explain why she does all this.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

Welcome to the forum.
In fairness I'd go for a complete check up under sedation. An x-ray could tell you if something is bothering him on his tail or his back, something that can't be seen from outside. And a thorough examination can be done with a sedated cat. Don't know whether a blood test could rule out other problems.
Best of luck!
Reebud
New Cat Chatter

Post by Reebud »

Yes, my Vet ruled out anything physical after examining my cat under sedation and taking x-rays. My Bud makes a horrible growling noise and hisses and sometimes even screeches when he's having these episodes, which can last for a few hours. It's heart-wrenching to witness. I don't know for sure, but I get the feeling the 'invisible cat' attacking him is causing him pain, which is why Gabapentin was prescribed. I understand it's used by people for certain types of epilepsy, but also used for treating nerve pain, particular where back/neck injury has occurred.
Will you take your cat to the Vets LittlePenBigHeart?
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

Gabapentin was given to my cat who was diagnosed with severe joint pains, so bad that she couldn't stand or walk.
As a matter of fact it didn't work at all because the diagnosis was totally wrong, the problem, very severe, was elsewhere and of totally different nature.
I will never trust a veterinarian again in my life!
I only remember that my cat hated those drops because were damn bitter. I had a few drops myself beforehand to see what I was going to give my cat.
Carrie Ann
New Cat Chatter

Post by Carrie Ann »

My 12 year old cat has just been prescribed the lowest dose of gabapentin for FOPS. He seems to have bad diahreaa. Has anyone else experienced this and how long did it last. He is on the lowest dose.
Gleemartin03
New Cat Chatter

Post by Gleemartin03 »

Carrie Ann, could you tell me how your cat is doing after FOPS? I think my cat has it now too. I am terrified that she will have to live like this forever now. But I still need to talk to the bet about it. It’s just heartbreaking to watch. I need some insight and I would love to hear how your kitty is doing now and if the gabapentin worked long term. Thank you so much.