Opinion on a 17yr old cats health needed

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
CheeyompIT
New Cat Chatter

Opinion on a 17yr old cats health needed

Post by CheeyompIT »

Hi all,

I'm new here and I have a really sick cat. Can't afford to take her to the vet at the moment but I've started a new job and I should be able to soon.

My cats name is Mimi, she's 17 years old and loves to sleep.

Over the past few months her health has deteriorated. I'm looking to find out a rough idea of what might be wrong with her and how much it should roughly cost at a vet in UK London.

Here are a few things that I've noticed about her:
2nd eyelid on left eye is nearly always on show.
Coughing/struggle breathing a few times a day.
Leaking from left eye and nose.

I'm the last week she's not been able to stick her tongue out which is affecting her eating. She also only tries to eat from the right side of her mouth.

Hope you can help me with my query as I intend to take her to the vet once I get my first pay.

Many thanks
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Opinion on a 17yr old cats health needed

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome. :)

I'm very sorry to hear about your girl and although I don't think anyone could estimate what a vet might charge, there may be someone on here who could recommend a good and reasonable vet in your area.

I do, though, think you ought to get her to a vet asap from what you describe. Is there any chance of using a credit card? (Sorry if this is intrusive; it's not meant to be; I've had rough times financially in the past myself and know what it can be like, paying interest on the interest. :( ) Or borrowing from someone - I mean a friend, NOT a loan shark.

Also, some vets will allow credit I believe. I realise you won't qualify for the PDSA clinic and these can be difficult to find and get to. But I do feel you need to get her treated as soon as possible.

Hopefully someone else on here will be able to give you more advice, and all the very very best with her - please let us know how she goes on.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. I agree with Lilith that you really need to take her to a vet ASAP. Let your vet have a look and they will tell you what she needs and you can go from there, most vets will allow you to pay in installments or sort something out. I’m sure like us all you’d be really upset if anything happened and you’d not taken her though. Hopefully it’s something that can be easily sorted, but right now she can’t be feeling too good and cats hide pain well at the best of times. Best of luck and do let us know how you go.
TheCatsMum
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by TheCatsMum »

I appreciate money is short, but you really need to take her to the vet - they can confirm before you go how much the consultation will be, and may be able to give advice on how to keep her comfortable even if you don't have any other treatment. Any good vet will talk through options, ie what they can offer to possibly help and is cheaper, ie antibiotics in case there's an infection, or something more expensive like tests done (if they feel it would help). ABs could be all it takes to help.