Tongue flicking

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Didi
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Tongue flicking

Post by Didi »

Bilbo has developed a very strange habit the last few days, when he comes for fusses he flicks his tongue in and out, I can only describe it as like a snake ! He is purring at the same time and eating normally (for him!) so I'm not unduly concerned and he does only do it when he first comes up for a fuss. He's not smacking his lips like they do sometime s if they are feeling a bit sick this is a definite flicking in and out
Anyone ever had a cat with this strange habit or any idea what it may be and if I need to take him to the vets
Last edited by Didi on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Tongue flicking

Post by Lilith »

Hi there, I used to have a cat who did this; sometimes if I brushed him or gave him a 'scruffle' on his back he'd stand still and flicker his tongue, as if he was lapping the air. He always seemed pleased, and in no discomfort; it never seemed to bother him and he lived to a ripe old age.

Bilbo had to have his backend shaved recently, didn't he - I wonder if the hair growing back in has set up a bit of a general all-over itchiness, so that he enjoys petting near that area, like a horse scratching its backside on a fence?

Give my love to the old chap; he must be looking quite imposing now his punk hairdo is growing out :)
Didi
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Tongue flicking

Post by Didi »

That's exactly what it's like lapping the air !
He has some very odd habits like eating his urinary dry food as if it's the best thing in the world as long as he is fed by hand but put it in a bowl and you would think I was trying to poison him ! I guess this is just another's one of his little "Bilboisms" :D

He is looking much better now his rear is covered again in very curly short fur nothing like the curtain of long fur it was but no doubt eventually that will return and he very nearly has his full "lions mane " back with just a little dint in it now that just looks like he needs brushing