Diabetes in cats - Causes?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Diabetes in cats - Causes?

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi everyone. I've just seen a programme, 'Trust me I'm a vet'. They covered diabetes in cats. There were some interesting findings. A quarter of all cats with diabetes have been found to have cancer in the pituitary gland. If the pituitary/cancer is removed the cat will need to be on meds for the rest of it's life to replace the crucial hormones made in the pituitary gland.

The reason for the cancer is thought to be the toxic environment of the modern home. Carpets, curtains, furnishings are all doused in fire-retardants. These cases are up 300% since 2004. They then said it was 'too early to say if we (humans) are at risk'. According to many of the sites I follow (Green Med Info, Dr Mercola) the answer to that is a big YES! They are thought to be linked to some cancers in humans and many are KNOWN to be endocrine disruptors (hence the hormone problem in cats)

I have recently stopped using conventional cleaning products and gone back to castile soap based cleaners and soda. We've ditched anything containing parabens and sodium lauryl sulphate. There is very little difference in price, I no longer suffer from dry skin and rashes when I clean house and the nicotine-stained bathroom curtains (OH is a chain smoker :cry: ) have never been so clean!

We have read a lot about the harm that all these (petro)chemicals are doing to our health. Now it seems it is affecting our pets. :shock:
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Diabetes in cats - Causes?

Post by Kay »

have just watched my recording of the programme - I wasn't sure if they were saying 25% of all diabetic cats, or 25% of diabetic cats who don't respond to insulin

but the chemicals in the home have undoubtedly increased enormously in the past 20 years - I clean almost everything with vinegar and water these days, including wooden furniture and floors - it's saved me a fortune, never mind the cats' and my health

not sure what we can do about carpets and soft furnishings though, as the law insists on fire retardants - not sure either that leather is not treated with chemicals - and what about cat beds

maybe wool and cotton throws are the answer
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Diabetes in cats - Causes?

Post by bobbys girl »

There is a whole new can of worms with cotton! Much of the world's cotton is now GM. This means it is what's called ' Roundup ready'. It is resistant to the herbicide glyphosate. There are some awful stories coming out of India about this crop and risks to health not only to the people growing it but also the end consumers - us (and our pets).

I practically LIVE in cotton, Willow's snuggle blanket is my old cotton dressing gown. But then she will be 14 in a couple of days and has, so far, not sprouted and extra head. :lol: :lol:

There was another story on that programme concerning the mineral content of pet food. They concentrated on dog food, but I think cat food could be the same. The conclusion reached was that we should give our pets a wide range of foods to make sure they are getting a full range of vitamins and minerals.

Perhaps that explains why our little darlings sometimes, suddenly refuse to eat their 'favourite' food any more. :roll: