Rehomed cat - hiding

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
suzw100
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Re-homed cat - hiding and wont come out

Post by suzw100 »

Hi All,
I brought home an adopted cat yesterday.
She i 1 and a half, not-spayed, house cat.
When we let her out of her carrier she sniffed around a bit and then went under the sofa and hasnt come out since yesterday (sunday) afternoon.

I think she came out during the night, as it looks like some food has been eaten and I heard a bit of scuffling. But she hasnt used the litter tray.

Is she okay?! Should I just leave her be and she will come out when shes ready? Or should I move her? I was thinking to put her in the bathroom so thats her own little space and she can explore more when shes ready. And that can expand into the small hallway when we need to shower etc.
I feel so bad for her under the sofa!

I will be getting her spayed eventually, is it better to do this asap. or wait a few weeks until she has settled?

Any help or advice appreciated!

thanks xx
TheCatsMum
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Re-homed cat - hiding and wont come out

Post by TheCatsMum »

Personally I'd leave her if she's found a spot she feels a bit safer. As she's in a room that will often be occupied, just try and be calm in that room, no rushing around or loud tv. It might be worth leaving her with a bit of quiet time in that room during the day, so she has the confidence to come out for more food or the litter tray. Also, maybe leave a couple of cat toys on the floor, if she's feeling more confident on her own, she may like to play. My boy only used go go once a day in his younger days, so it might be she has a strong bladder and is holding on. She's been through a lot, and hopefully when she know she's safe, she'll start coming out and exploring.

If she's a house cat, I'd leave it a bit before I had her spayed.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Congratulations on the new addition.

Hiding under sofas (or anywhere else) is perfectly normal to start with. Leave her where she is, if possible make sure that food, water and litter tray are all near by, but not too close together so she know she doesn't have to go far for the essentials. When you are in there, try and behave as normally as possible and pretty much ignore her until she starts to come out while you are in there. Have the TV on, but not too loud, chat, but don't argue, sit and read, it will all get her used to you being around, with out her feeling threatened by the attention. She will start to explore when she feels ready, probably while you aren't around to start with, food will get eaten and the litter tray will be used, but again probably not while you are in with her to start with.

While she is confined inside it isn't as urgent to get her spayed but be warned she will still come into heat, and while I have never had a cat in heat around, I have heard that you are likely to have a few sleepless nights when she does, so I would advise sooner rather than later for the spaying. I would also advise that she is vaccinated and microchipped as well. Even if she is indoor only there is still a chance that you could carry a virus in to the house and in my mind it isn't worth the risk, and should she escape then being microchipped gives her a far higher chance of getting home again.
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by issiandarchie+68 »

I agree with CatsMum and Ruth. Years ago, when I used to worry about settling in a new cat/getting it out from the back of the wardrobe etc. a family member advised me to get down on the floor and view the world from the Cat's perspective. It's a bit scary, everything looks gigantic, including human legs, dark shadows under the furniture, strange smells from the carpet. Ever since,I just brought them home, opened carrier, put food, water and litter nearby, left them to it. No vacuuming for a while though, no hardship on my part. They soon began to venture out and explore. Incidentally, the only rescue cat, over many years, I didn't have to settle, was my sweet Cody. She attached herself to my husband at the centre, flew into the carrier, then,on arriving home, even with the other cats present, she calmly strolled out onto the sofa, settled down to wash herself, she was home. A cat from Heaven.

Issi
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Rehomed cat - hiding

Post by alanc »

New cats hiding is nothing unusual! My old cat Misty (9 years old when I got him) hid in his igloo for months.
I presume you did not get your girl from a regular cat rescue, as I am very surprised that she was not spayed before coming to you. Regarding your girl, I think a separate room for her would be best, but I don't think the bathroom is ideal. A bedroom in which she can stay would be far better. At the moment, your biggest problem will be her escaping outside before being spayed. You should keep her in for 3-4 weeks at least to get accustomed to her new home. I would recommend getting her spayed as soon as possible. Best thing is to ring your vet and ask for advice. Also, if she has not been spayed, has she had her inoculations? If not, these also need doing before she ventures outside.
There will be more knowledgeable people along soon to give you advice.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Hi. Yep asap, I would book in for a checkup now and the vet will book the neuter, and I would also add microchipping at the same time, so all done :) Most rescues nowadays do the lot before rehoming.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

you don't want to set her back once she's acclimatized more by taking her to be spayed - better to get all her upset over now and then you can start wooing her in earnest
suzw100
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by suzw100 »

Thanks for the advise!

She did come out of her own accord this morning (after my husband had left), and had some food - but only a tiny bit which i put on a spoon - she wouldnt eat from the dish. And was very affectionate and following me around demanding attention. Unfortunately I had to go to work! But hopefully she will do some exploring and eat some food on her own.
We got a feliway plug in, so maybe that has helped.

She has barely eaten anything since sunday, she is very skinny anyway so maybe she just doenst eat very much.

I think i will give her a couple of weeks just to settle in, and then take her to be spayed. I will get her insured aswell, and look into microchipping.

xx
Attachments
IMG_6766.JPG
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

If she seems reluctant to eat from her bowl, you might want to try different designs of bowls. Some cats can be really fully, some don't like metal, some don't like plastic, some don't like high sides that interfere with their whiskers, it can really be a case of trial and error to find what a particular cat will eat out of. One old staple does seem to be an old crockery side plate, neither plastic nor metal and nice and flat, or you can end up with one like one of mine who just decides to pull it all onto the floor and eaf off that.

Glad to hear she has started coming out, and I'm sure it will improve from now on.
suzw100
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by suzw100 »

thanks!
She is doing much better now. Spending lots of time with us and eating more every day.
She is quite noisey and follows us around meowing, especially in the morning. Does she just want attention?

We have been closing her out of the bedroom at night, and she scratches at the door and meows loudly for a while, hopefully she will get used to this!

She is a house cat, and we are both at work during the day. Can anyone reccomend good toys to keep her entertained while she is alone?
I dont want her getting bored or upset. Although i guess she is sleeping most of the day anyway?

thanks xx
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

don't forget until she is spayed she could come into season, and that will make her very noisy, and very affectionate!!

cats aren't very good at playing by themselves - better to arrange furniture to make sure she can access windows so she can at least look out at the world outside
Summercat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Summercat »

Hi,
How is your kitty doing?