Possible liver problems

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
andtiggertoo
VIP Cat Chatter!

Possible liver problems

Post by andtiggertoo »

Soooo... following on from the allergy question. About two weeks ago Millie became quite quiet. Stopped playing, stopped sitting on my lap in the evening. Still purrs and likes a fuss though (always on her terms, obviously). She is at the tail end of a steroid jab for the allergies, so she is still hungry, eating well. Peeing and pooing as she should. But we were a bit worried that she seemed to have just lost interest in life. Took her to the vet and blood tests have shown that she has raised liver enzymes of the type that would point to either ingestion of something toxic or maybe an accident or physical shock.

While I know she trod in some paint on Sunday and therefore must have ingested some, all this started long before that.

Anyone have experience of liver problems and can tell me what sort of thing we might expect? In 10 months we haven't yet managed to get a tablet of any description down her throat, so I am really hoping that somehow this sorts itself out and we don't have to, but at the moment the vet is suggesting that we repeat the liver enzyme tests in a couple of weeks, and obviously see what they say, but think about giving her a liver support, which unfortunately comes in tablet form.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Possible liver problems

Post by lilynmitz »

Sorry to hear she's still so poorly. Try getting her to like Webbox sticks, as they're brilliant for hiding pills in. Lily's been on pills for years, but all she knows is she gets three lots of webbox every day, and is very happy about it(!).
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I've had cats with both high and low liver enzymes, vets have never realu treated high enzymes with meds, although we tried diet with Snowy. Buster was put on Hepatosyl last year, its a capsule that you can sprinkle into food, had mixed success. Fingers crossed. Mark is having a similar issue, you might get some help off his thread
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Just a thought, did the bloods include thyroid? Hypert can cause raised liver enzymes, which then come down when the thyroid levels go back to normal
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

That's interesting Desley. We only upped Laz's Felimazole dose form 3.75mg to 5mg a day 3 weeks ago. I wonder if his liver enzymes are taking a while to go back down,
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I'd strongly recommend you get a copy of the blood test results, and do a bit of exploring on the internet yourself

I remember Trigger's amylase levels being very high when he was HT, but a bit of googling, and consulting the good folk on the Yahoo HT group soon reassured me it was not important
andtiggertoo
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by andtiggertoo »

All her other results were in normal ranges, including thyroid. Just the liver enzymes.