AGGRESSION WITH NEIGHBOURS CAT

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
jennihyde
New Cat Chatter

AGGRESSION WITH NEIGHBOURS CAT

Post by jennihyde »

So I've recently had my neighbour complain that my cat is being extremely aggressive to hers. To the point she's now sent a letter to tell me she'll be seeking financial compensation if it occurs. I stopped letting my (neutered) boy out during the day and only at night however she lets her (neutered) female out whenever it wants so another fight occurred last night which led to the typed up letter being handed to my husband. My question however is what can I do. I have two other cats whom he gets along with however they both go out. The back doors get left open in order to let my daughter and dogs go out, so being an indoor cat is not an option.
I've thought about taking him to my yard where my horses are however the yard owner has said that he'll get run over within the week as all of his have done over the years and as we paid nearly £2k to have him sorted when he got hit by a car two and a half years ago, I just can't see him take such a grisly end again.
I feel my only options are to either have him PTS or my husband wants to take him back to Battersea to find that miracle home. I feel like I'm not only passing on a problem but also feel out of control as to where and with whom he may end up. He has a poor back end due to the car accident and as a result, walks with quite a swagger anyway. Other than that, he's the most loving cat in the world, loves his cuddles and is generally a dream to be around. I just don't really know what to do now. :(
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: AGGRESSION WITH NEIGHBOURS CAT

Post by booktigger »

Is there any way of talking to your neighbour and setting up a rota? She might have sent a letter saying she'll be asking for financial compensation, but in reality, she probably doesn't have a leg to stand on - cats aren't seen the same in law as a dog (although I have offered to pay vet bills when my cats have attacked neighbours cats - the irony being the last aggressive cat I had had multiple health issues, so he was the one who ended up at the vets after a fight). A vet wouldn't PTS for this, and depending on his age, he could sit in rescue for a while.
jennihyde
New Cat Chatter

Post by jennihyde »

He's three years old and the vets have agreed to PTS. I'm concerned about putting him in rescue and the neighbours are worrying for their young children :roll:
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

jennihyde wrote:He's three years old and the vets have agreed to PTS. I'm concerned about putting him in rescue and the neighbours are worrying for their young children :roll:
I'm shocked a vet would PTS for that reason - what do the neighbours think he'll do to the children?
jennihyde
New Cat Chatter

Post by jennihyde »

They're worried the children will be near to the cats while they're fighting and that the younger one will touch the urine and suck her thumb
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Wow!
Shortbread
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Shortbread »

HI,

I'm really sorry to hear this is happening and that it's come to such an ugly head. I think your neighbour isn't being very reasonable, simply because of the urine comment! Where does her cat pee then? How can her cat never have any nasties in it's urine but yours does!? Grrrr, sorry, this makes me boil.

I wouldn't let her bully you into having your cat pts, I'd take a legal consultation (or citizen's advice) and ask to agree a "Letting out" schedule as others have advised, that way you're seen legally and morally as trying to find a solution, and can guarantee peace as long as the agreement is stuck to. You've spent so much time, money and effort saving this boy, so another couple of hundred in legal fees should sort it out, plus then she'll see that you're not being bullied and are taking steps to a solution. Win win!

Good luck, I'm sure this is making you nervous and stressed, hope you get it sorted ASAP.
Heather xx
jennihyde
New Cat Chatter

Post by jennihyde »

Do you know where I can get a legal consult?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

If the smallest child is still at the thumb-sucking stage, it shouldn't be out without parental supervision.

Cure it of thumb-sucking if it does manage to stick its hand in cat wee ... evil cackle.

This sort of situation is horrible, I really feel for you - I've known bullying neighbours in my time. But as Booktigger says, you are NOT legally liable for your cat's actions. Why does this neighbour think she can claim money anyway? Can she show you vet bills? Who's to say her cat isn't as much of an aggressor as your cat?

Is there some way of enclosing your garden so your cats can't get out?

Sorry, I seem to have raised more questions instead of solutions. I do hope you manage to solve this problem. Possibly the CAB or your local council (whichever dept used to be Environmental Health) may be able to advise?

All the very best.
Shortbread
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Shortbread »

Not sure, but I'm having a quick look on Mr Google.

Found this which is interesting...
http://catsaway.org/cat-law/
Shortbread
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Shortbread »

This is interesting, if you scroll down to 2/3's of the way down there is a Q&A on cat aggression (first link). It says that she can take out a council order to get your cat to be restrained, ie kept in. Another way of dealing with this would be to install a cat enclosure in your garden so that he can roam but not get out. Either a wooden enclosure attached to the house somehow, or use 6ft high cat proof netting that would mean he can wander freely in your garden, but not get out.

http://www.catbehaviourist.com/cats-law-uk/

Cat netting
https://catfencing.org.uk/cat-fencing-images.felisafe
Cat Lady
New Cat Chatter

Post by Cat Lady »

I'm in the position where a neighbourhood cat from 3 houses away comes over frequently and attacks my cats if they're outside.
It also attacks other cats but I'm the only one who's ever told the aggressive one's owners. They see it as my problem.
I try squirting it, but while it runs it always comes back. I'm desperate for a way to keep it away, this is our home, and keeping my boys in while it has the run of the place could cause them behaviour issues.
The nasty bully is apparently fixed.
I suspect in the example above the neighbour is at the end of her wits wanting to protect her cat, and the child is a red herring.