Why is my cat peeing and pooping on my couch?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jen H
New Cat Chatter

Why is my cat peeing and pooping on my couch?

Post by Jen H »

We have two cats. Within the past 6 months, one of the cats (10 years old) began peeing on our leather couch. We took him to the vet to rule out any medical problems, and he was totally healthy. So we began trying things to change the behavior. At first I thought he was stressed because we had moved all of my 2.5 year old's toys into that room during Christmas. After Christmas, everything was arranged as before, but he continued to pee. We had the couch cleaned to remove any odor, and he continued to do it. I covered the couch with blankets, and he just peed on the blankets. I put up a children's gate, which worked for a little bit, but now he just jumps over it and goes. I had changed litters to save money, so I went back to the original kind in case that was it. I've covered the couch with plastic drop clothes. He still pees...and has just recently pooped a few times as well. We clean the litter box every day, and they always have food and water. He's always been a really good cat up to this point, so I cannot figure out why the sudden change. He did not display any negative behavior when my son came into the house 2.5 years ago, so I'm not sure why it would bother my cat now. Nothing I have tried works.
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Why is my cat peeing and pooping on my couch?

Post by Willowgill »

Sounds a bit drastic but have you tried putting the litter tray on the couch when you're not using it and making sure there's no room anywhere else for him to go? if he uses it it might be that he's developed a habit he can't break. Are you able to shut the door and keep him out?
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Okay - I've got an idea. It sounds to me as if your cat has become insecure, and one of the signs can be inappropriate peeing etc in places where they don't feel vulnerable - so up higher than where a litterbox is normally placed. I've heard of cats peeing on kitchen counters for the same reason - horribly unhygenic!

A suggestion would be to increase litter trays - and go for things that are fairly open or transparent (like a simple plastic storage box, see-through) with his favourite litter. At 10 years old he's obviously still able to jump but you know what he's like. Put the boxes in highish places, where he can't be sneaked up on (many litter boxes are in corners, or hidden out of the way, or covered - if a cat is feeling vulnerable it might feel too risky to go somewhere where you could be ambushed). If there is only one litter tray and you've got more than one cat, even more a problem - or it could even be that he's worried about your young child?

You might have to be a bit creative finding places to put the trays (I would try a couple of extra) but on the sofa could be one at first, and if he uses it then try moving it somewhere else that is 'exposed' and not on the floor... The idea of the 'storage box' alternative I read somewhere, and it made sense that a cat could feel safe in it, but also see if anything/anyone was coming, so not feel to scared to be ambushed.

You haven't got a dog as well, have you? How many cats are there in total in the house, and has this changed?
Jen H
New Cat Chatter

Post by Jen H »

The room he is going in does not have a door....it is a large open frame.

There is a total of two cats in the house (the one with the problem and one other) and it's been the two of them since they were both kittens. No dogs or other pets. I've been worried that it's my toddler that's the problem as my son is a little loud now and constantly wants to pet or follow the cats. The one with the problem hides pretty much any time my son is around. But there's not much I can do to change a toddler! The storage bin as a litter box in the area of the problem is a good idea. We've also thought of trying to put their food on the couch.....