Terrified Cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Terrified Cat

Post by greenkitty »

As some of you know I have Tig who's quite a strange cat and quite unlike my other two cats. He's coming up for 7, deaf and has PKD. The rescue vet also thinks he may have suffered some sort of brain damage when he was born as he's not quite the full ticket. I also moved house a month ago and although it took him longer to settle than the other two I felt he had settled after about 2 weeks. He's generally not good with visitors to the house and keeps out of the way, which is fine.

Last Saturday I was toweling off after a shower and he was in the bathroom and as I moved the towel he caught sight of it in the landing mirror and it really spooked him, he shot off and went and hid. Unfortunately I also had visitors that day and a couple of times they caught him by surprise and spooked him again. On Sunday I was just home alone no visitors, he was terrified all day, shaking and cowering away. The problem is he's still not recovered, he finally let me approach him yesterday and I managed to stroke him but he's really not eating very well. He won't eat his normal food, won't eat chicken but yesterday he did eat a small amount of tuna and some treats and again this morning. He is drinking and using his tray. I have a Pet Remedy diffuser going too. I also tried warming his food up with limited success. I've left a microchip feeder out for him but I think one of the others managed to force it yesterday as the lid was jammed open! I have left it out again today in the hope he'll get some food if he feels hungry.

Anyone got ideas of how I can help him? Do you think it's just time he needs? I work full time so he has peaceful time during the day.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Terrified Cat

Post by Lilith »

Oh poor chap.

Yes, time is the remedy. Talk to him, handfeed even with favourite titbits, special him a bit until he gets over it. This has worked for me with timid cats ... ha! I now have a 'timid' cat who BULLIES me lol!

All the very best :)
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

It's heart breaking to see, I'm literally the only person he trusts and to see him shaking is so upsetting. He has made progress between Sunday and today albeit very slow.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

He'll get there :)

Isn't it called reinforced behaviour? The towel monster didn't and won't get him. People in the house didn't and won't get him. It can take time but they do learn in the end.

All the best, please give the poor guy a fuss from me :)
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

I will :)