Avoid cat food with fish!? :O

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Avoid cat food with fish!? :O

Post by vanilla »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... -episode-3

12 minutes in.. about cat food.

Apparently, cats that eat more fish are exposed to higher levels of arsenic! Which is causing kidney problems :shock: :o
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Avoid cat food with fish!? :O

Post by bobbys girl »

That's not all! The bigger fish, like the ever popular tuna, are often carrying quite a burden of mercury too!! :o
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

fish in cat food has also been linked with hyperthyroidism in cats, which seems to be more and more common http://www.petmd.com/blogs/nutritionnug ... oidi-33397

and what makes it worse is that a lot of meat flavoured popular food like Felix contain fish , so it's not just a matter of avoiding fish flavoured varieties
LifewithCatman
New Cat Chatter

Post by LifewithCatman »

It's not good for cats to eat tuna.
You can read more about this here
http://lifewithcatman.com/avoid-product ... cats-diet/
willowdragon
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by willowdragon »

All good things in moderation. A little fish every now and then isn't going I hurt. In fact, no fish at all is just as harmful, and eye need the Omega 3 that fish give. Too much fish, on the other hand, can indeed have adverse affects. My cats gets a teaspoon of fish - alternating between salmon and sardines - per week.

There's so much controversy about food. Raw feed/don't raw feed. All dry/no dry. All wet/no wet. Eggs/no eggs. In the end I stopped worrying about the controversy and spent some time researching cat biology and digestive systems. I built a balanced diet for mine, which a couple of vets have said is good. But it took a lot of time and effort.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

We are off for lunch to a restaurant known for it's local caught fish. I'm sure some of it will find it's way back here. Willow is partial to a little white fish - never done her any harm.

Having said that she, and the others, won't touch sachets of fish flavoured cat food, never have. Odd that. :?
LeChat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by LeChat »

I live in Asia and I haven't seen any non-fish wet food yet!! Mostly tuna.