New kitten weak meow

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
mamasunshine
New Cat Chatter

New kitten weak meow

Post by mamasunshine »

Hi there,

We have bought a six weeks old kitten today who has a very weak meow. He seems fine with everything else, has eaten some kitten food, drank some milk and is now running around the house exploring every room. My 10 year old daughter has been playing with him and, other than a little shyness, he is happy to play.

Anyway, his meow is very weak sounding - almost like laryngitis in a human. I probably should've asked the pet shop owner more questions. This is the first time I've had a cat and I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thankyou in advance!

Catherine :)
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: New kitten weak meow

Post by hgale »

Hi Catherine, welcome to CC!

If I were you, I would have your little kitten checked by a Vet to be certain he is ok. The weak meow may not be a problem (every cats voice is different), but I'm still concerned - 6 weeks is way too early for a kitten to leave its mother - every book I have says 8 weeks should be the youngest time (and preferably more like 10 - 12 weeks), plus the fact you bought him from a pet shop - I'm sorry to say that I have read some real horror stories about kittens from pet shops coming down with all sorts of illness. I'm sorry if I have scared you, that certainly is not my intention, I'm just letting you know what I have read.

Please let us know how you get on, and a big snuggle to your new friend from me.

Helen
mamasunshine
New Cat Chatter

Post by mamasunshine »

Morning Helen,

Thankyou so much for your feedback and the lovely welcome.

He hasn't got a name yet but we're thinking of Patch because he is black with a little tuft of white at the neck!

Anyway, he's had a brilliant night and slept on my daughter's bed. I kept checking on him and he's got the loudest purr ever. He's eating very well and has had 2 poops in the litter tray - clever little thing :D

However, his meow is still weak. Your advice to have him checked at the vets is the only way to get reassurance, so I'll phone them Monday and make an appointment.

What a wonderful site this is - I'll be around a bit more to learn from you all.

Thanks again Helen - I'll post again when I've been to the vet.

All the best - Catherine :)
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

It's always best to play on the safe side with such young kittens, as they can go downhill very quickly. Whenever I bring a new cat home the first thing I do is get them to a vet to get them thoroughly checked over, registered with the vet, and microchipped, and to discuss an appropriate time fore neutering as well. Do hope Patch continues to settle in so well.
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by hgale »

What a lovely name!

You have certainly come to the right place for cat help, and general cat chat! I joined nearly 3 years ago when my elderly cat Kitten suddenly went blind, and the help and support I got from everyone was very helpful. Although I don't have a cat now, I still love coming on here.

Big fusses to Patch, and do let us know how he gets on.