My semi ferals

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
theo92
Returning Cat Chatter

My semi ferals

Post by theo92 »

Not a question, just a bit of news on my semi feral cats, been with me just over a year.
They will always be skittish and nervous but I think they have come to trust me (the dinner lady) Despite advice that I should try and get them to accept me touching them I have left them alone.
I have the ongoing concern that one day I will need to take them to the vet. Hopefully I have found a solution! I have put a cat basket in their garden room (they are indoor cats) and every day I throw in some treats. Works a treat! Being feral they are scavengers and will always respond to any opportunity for food. The only problem I may face is that they both squeeze into the basket together ......
So to anyone considering homing a semi feral cat it is a pleasure to own them, different, but so rewarding. My cats had been at a homing centre for 2 years and if I had not come along they may well still be there.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: My semi ferals

Post by Kay »

they are lucky cats indeed

I have been feeding a couple of cats without homes in my garden for over a year now, and they have kennels out there - one is a pedigree, not quite sure what breed, and neutered, and the other an entire tom, but likely drifted from a farm rather than being out and out feral - he is actually more willing to be touched than the pedigree

I plan to get the tom to the vet soon, and as soon as we have a few days guaranteed to be dry I am going to put a top loading carrier out on the patio where I feed them, and once he is used to it being there, I will grab him whilst he is eating - he will then go to a local rescue lady and she will take him to the vet when she can get an appointment and then he will come back to my garden

I too don't see any burning need to befriend them any more than I have done - I occasionally open the gate between the enclosed area where my two cats are contained, and the area where I feed, them, in case they want to explore, but they seem to be quite happy with their outdoor life, and I am happy to leave them be, like you
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: My semi ferals

Post by booktigger »

Good on you for giving them a chance, and good luck if they need the vet