Kitten kidney problems after PureVax.........

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
kendallbyrd
New Cat Chatter

Kitten kidney problems after PureVax.........

Post by kendallbyrd »

Last Tuesday I took our 13 week old kitten in for her first shots. Two days later the kitten had barely eaten and was sleeping a lot. I took her back in and the vet said this was normal and since she had not made a stool he gave her an enema and said she might be dehydrated to watch and call back if she did not improve. The next day the poor kitten just sat by the water bowl and drank nonstop. I took her BACK in and they finally ran bloodwork and said her kidneys were not filtering her blood properly. They put her on an IV for 48 hours. She's back home now and still not very active. She is eating, but seems to be drinking more than normal. NOT playful. Has anyone heard of a reaction like this? She was a typical playful CRAZY kitten before and not can't seem to jump onto anything. I feel like this vaccine has or is going to kill this poor cat. It was PureVax FeLV and RCP............
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Kitten kidney problems after PureVax.........

Post by booktigger »

Sorry to hear your kitten has had such a severe reaction - your vet needs to report it to PureVax. I've never heard of such a reaction, but FeLV can cause more of a reaction than the Flu/Enteritis.
kendallbyrd
New Cat Chatter

Post by kendallbyrd »

He spoke with them yesterday, I'm waiting on a call from him now to find out what they told him. She is still poor today, I'm starting to think she may not survive........
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Please keep us posted
kendallbyrd
New Cat Chatter

Post by kendallbyrd »

Will do. Collected urine sample tonight and took to vet. She seems to be having coordination problems with her hind legs now too. Seeing vet again tomorrow.
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vanilla »

So sorry to hear this. Thinking of you at this worrying time..
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Poor lass, this is awful, all the best to the both of you and hope she recovers soon x
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Poor girl and poor you.

I hope the vet can find out what is wrong and it can be treated. Several of mine have had reactions to vaccinations but are only a bit under the weather for a day or so, nothing like your little girl is going through.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

My cat was very poorly last year after her vaccinations (not the same vaccination type as yours though) and we were worried she would pull through but she did. Initially I thought it was the usual reaction, as all our cats have been sleepy and off their food after vaccinations, for a day or two. She didn’t eat for a week though and was very flat and lifeless, and we had to keep taking her to the vet to check her temperature etc as she was very dehydrated. She was going to be admitted for fluids etc but gradually each day her temperature started to go down and the vet thought she would be best at home if possible. She gave her an antibiotic injection and metacam injection and once she started to eat she had diahorrea so she gave her something for that. She said she’d put an allergy alert on her records for this year and split the vaccinations up, so she didn’t get them all in one go. I hope your little one picks up soon it is a worry.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

So sorry to hear about your cat. I do so hope she recovers very soon.

I have been reading some alarming things about vaccines - a whole new can of worms that I won't go into here - but seeing that your cat is now having coordination problems, rang some alarm bells. It seems the same thing can happen to some babies when they are given multiple vaccines that their own undeveloped immune systems can't deal with.

I really hope this is a passing thing, but as Janey said maybe it's best if she has no more multiple vaccines.
kendallbyrd
New Cat Chatter

Post by kendallbyrd »

She went back today and bloodwork and urine tests all look good. Treating her with antibiotics and pain reliever over the weekend and hoping she improves. Belly still really tender......if not better by Monday we will start considering other options. :(
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Fingers crossed she improves over the weekend
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Yes, hope she is on the mend.