Seeking Advice for Cats Behavior

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Madeliz
New Cat Chatter

Seeking Advice for Cats Behavior

Post by Madeliz »

Hello,

In September my dad found a kitten in the middle of the road with no mother. Because I have experience he brought her home to me to care for. I was originally going to find her home when she was old enough but as she got older we realized that she had a mild form of cerebellar hypoplasia. This doesn't really effect her much, she can jump and run, she just walks funny and has trouble getting to her destination. Because of this we necided to keeo her. She used to be a sweet cat. She would cuddle and purr when we let her out. The only time she would lash out is when she was eating and we were assuming that was because she didn't get a whole lot to eat from her mother when she was still with her. She had trouble with the litter box especially with defecating at first but we assumed it was because she couldn't get in and out of the litter box.

As she got older she started pooping more and more on the floor to the point where now it's very rare if she goes in the litter box and she only goes in it about maybe 3 times a month if we're lucky. In the last month or two she started peeing on the floor as well, where before she had never had an accident while urinating. It's not all the time, but at least 4 times a week. We've tried cat attract litter, we've tried enzyme spray, we've tried everything we can think of. We have tried multiple different types of litter and litter boxes. We tried it with a lid, without a lid and her current one is very low to the ground. She can get in it, she pees at the very end of the litter box and I just don't know what to do.

As for her behavior, like I said she's always really only lash out when we gave her food, especially when she was younger she was obsessed with the bottle but she was always pretty sweet. She let anyone pet, hold, or comb her (she had fleas when she first arrived) but as she's gotten older she's become extremely aggressive and rude, not towards other cat, she's fine with other cats, but it's towards me and my mom that she mostly lashes out. I don't know if that's because we're the ones that really take care of her, as we feed her, we discipline her if she does something, and we clean up her messes, but it's gotten to the point where I can't even touch or go near her without her trying to scratch or bite me and she rarely lets me hold her without growling, hissing, freaking out, and trying to bite me or scratch me and I honestly just don't know what to do anymore. She also hates it and freaks out when anyone (even my dad) tries to comb her. I'm hoping it's because we haven't gotten her fixed yet (as we've been trying to save up the money for it) and I'm hoping that will fix the problem but I honestly have no clue how to make her like me or trust me and it's really bothering me because forstered, rescued, and owned over 50 cats.

I don't understand why she wants to hurt me so much and I'm really just seeking advice if anybody has anything to say about any way to get her to trust me get her to like me again. I've tried just lightly holding her on my lap and lightly petting her, I've tried giving her treats and just sitting in the room with her. She lets my dad pick her up and scratch her behind the ear she lets her do whatever he wants to her. So if anybody can just give us any advice or anything I would greatly appreciate it right now. She's living in the bathroom because I can't take the chance of her peeing in my room or peeing on the couch we let her out when we're home and we can keep an eye on her which since my dad works nights it's during a lot during the day it's just that night where she's alone in the bathroom. But I really want my bathroom back and I want my sweet kitten back so if anybody could give me advice I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm sorry for the long post.

Thank you

Maria
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Seeking Advice for Cats Behavior

Post by booktigger »

Part of her behaviour will be because of her hormones, but I would get her checked by a vet, CH can cause urine issues, which could explain the litter tray issues
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by issiandarchie+68 »

Hiya, what do you mean by 'discipline' her? Did her aggression towards you start before or after that? I'm by not suggesting you are cruel towards her, I'm sure you are not, but maybe she is now a little afraid of you and your Mum because she associates you with giving her a telling off?. I think she's toileting inappropriately because she is nervous, leaving her mark, building a comfort zone. I don't know which country you live in but if you are in Britain, the PDSA might be able to neuter her for a nominal fee and their wonderful Vets could advise on her problem. I do sympathise, I had a rescue cat who initially peed absolutely everywhere, I couldn't even open a drawer to get clothing and he would back up and spray :(, very distressing for all concerned. Turned out he had been badly neutered, still had a tiny piece of his b**ls still attached inside his little body. Good luck and do keep us posted.

Issi
Madeliz
New Cat Chatter

Post by Madeliz »

Hello,

By discipline I mean not letting her get away with everything. We have an elder dog that has a hard time walking and the cat tends to be all over her sometimes and it makes the dog uncomfortable. The dog tries to get up to get away from her but she follows her and is right around her legs. Usually we just yell "hey!" At her or lightly spray her with the water bottle. When she lashes out and becomes aggressive, we usually take her back to her room to calm down as well. I should have specified that I never hurt her. I apologize. I live in America (unfortunately) so we don't have any cheap places to spray her that we'd trust.

Thank you both very much for replying.

Maria
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Until recently I hadn't even heard of CH so I can't really offer any advice on her behaviour, what i have heard though is that some of the no kill charities in the states will offer reduced cost spaying or give vouchers out so it might be worth contacting your local one and asking. In the end I guess it is cheaper to help with the cost of spaying and neutering than the cost of saving and rehoming any kittens that would result if the animal was left unspayed.