Change of diet and cats not getting on

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Change of diet and cats not getting on

Post by emmab »

We adopted a cat in November but neither of them are getting on. He does bully our existing cat from time to time and does chase her in or tries to wind her up for no reason. I am thinking of changing their diet and will probanly end up speaking to our vet. What diet is best for this and does anyone have any experience of it with their cats? Is it too much protein? They are on IAMS at the moment. Thanks
LittlePenBigHeart
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Change of diet and cats not getting on

Post by LittlePenBigHeart »

The behaviour is highly unlikely to be linked to diet, but if they're on Iams, it's definitely worth looking at a change to something more natural like More or Canagan.

The best advice I came across when our cats were fighting a lot was that you should never reprimand a cat for attacking another because it just adds to the negative feeling between them when they hear your anger. As contrary as it sounds, the best thing to do is to calmly break it up, then give positive attention to both cats, regardless who started it. If you see them have a more positive interaction, such as sniffing each other, again, give them praise and affection. Since we began doing this, ours get on SO much better. They do still have their moments, when Gizzy gets a mood on and growls and/or swipes at the other two, but they're few and far between these days. In general, peace reigns supreme. It also helps if you try giving them all a treat at the same time. For example, if our three are all out, we call them in, then give them all a treat when they come to us. This forms another positive association between them (and it's well documented that food forms the most positive of associations in domestic cats).

Going back to the diet, my main pieces of advice are these: do your research thoroughly and if you don't recognise the majority of ingredients in a product, it's probably not a great one. Put it this way - if you wouldn't eat something yourself, not knowing what is in the food, it's probably better not to give it to a cat. More, Symply, Canagan, Cheshire Cat, Applaws, Orijen, all are better, more natural options than Iams, Royal Canin, Sheba, Whiskas or any of the other foods touted, wrongly, in my opinion, as 'quality' products. There IS a price difference, but you feed them less of a quality product because their nutritional requirement is more easily met, so it's generally cheaper in the long run.

The second piece of advice is extremely important - if you make a change, do it SLOWLY. If you change their food too quickly, their tummies may well object and once they've had the runs a few time it will be easy to feel put off. I would always recommend starting with a quarter of new food to three quarters of the old food, just for a week or so, to see how they get on. If they're all right after that, go up to a half, etc.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Thank you. I agree about the not telling off. I have to admit we are and probably is making them more stressed. I have tried the Feliway without success. I am doing the treats thing. I may speak to our vet when I go re food. Much appreciated for your response.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Can you get Zylkene?
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

HI there...I have never heard of it but on looking it up, the new cat was on it for 3 weeks when he arrived as he was beyond scared and nervous. I am not sure if it helped or not as by the time he stopped taking it he was the same but that may have been because he had settled in by that point. I will see if I can get some, thanks for the advice.