Vet Costs - Teething Problems

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
cottlad
New Cat Chatter

Vet Costs - Teething Problems

Post by cottlad »

Hi,
Our 9 yr old cat just had her annual check and we've been told she needs some work poor thing. However I do want to make sure we're not being rolled over by the vets who we prepaid for lifetime vaccinations and health checks.... It does seem a little expensive but I have little to compare it with apart from my own dentist lol.
So she needs bloods doing to see if she's fit enough for anesthetic which is £58 regardless.
If fit enough, she then needs anesthetic, a tooth clean, an 1 extraction. Apparently she has smelly breath (don't they all?) :D and an infection which will very likely result in the tooth being removed.
Total cost including bloods, cleaning & extraction will be £300-£350 depending on how much anesthetic required and recovery time.

Does this sound fair? Would really appreciate any advice before we continue.
The vet is Vets For Pets BTW.

Cheers :)
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Vet Costs - Teething Problems

Post by Ruth B »

That sounds quite reasonable to me, the last time one of mine need it doing was over 5 years ago and then it was about £250 - 300.

The anaesthetic, the scaling, any extractions and post op pain meds and antibiotics are all essentials Normally once the cat is under the vet can have a good look in the mouth and will remove any teeth that need it, it normally doesn't at much to the cost having a few extra teeth removed.

The bloods before hand are the only thing that might be considered optional but in my mind it would be false economy to not have them done to make sure there are no underlying conditions that would be better treated before being put under anaesthetic.

I will also add that a cat with no teeth is better off than a cat with a bad tooth. Our old Ragdoll had all his back teeth out in the end and lost one of his canines, it never stopped him eating and he always prefered dried food. The only time he had problems was when he needed the work doing.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Yup :)

My 15 year old had a dental in March; she'd already had blood tests for another problem so we knew she was ok re anaesthetic but she needed a few extractions; the bill came to about £400.

Edit - they advised a drip after surgery, in view of her age, so that was extra, don't know how much offhand. They did go through all the potential costs very carefully with me.

Hope your girl goes on ok - they generally sail through it and come home very hungry.

Oh and welcome by the way :)
Last edited by Lilith on Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheCatsMum
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by TheCatsMum »

I was quoted approximately £300 in April (never had it done as my boy had to be pts for other reasons)