Best wet cat food

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
suzw100
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Best wet cat food

Post by suzw100 »

Hello,
Does anyone have any recommendations for the best wet cat food?
We are currently trying James wellbeloved - but she doesnt like it.

She is indoor and 2 years old.

Is Schesir any good? only the best for my little princess ;)

thanks!
Suzanne
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Best wet cat food

Post by Ruth B »

The best cat food for her is the one she will eat.

Like many others i have tried various types of cat food for my three and it always seems to come down to Felix As Good as it Looks and Gourmet Gold or Gourmet Pearl. While they may not be viewed as artisan cat foods they aren't bad, they have a good meat protein content and with the exception of some of the Gourmet Gold are wheat free.

Unfortunately what to feed is a bit of a minefield and if you ask ten cat people you will probably get eleven answers.
LittlePenBigHeart
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Best wet cat food

Post by LittlePenBigHeart »

People will have very different opinions and I certainly don't want to disrespect anyone, but I disagree that the best one is whichever she will eat, I'm afraid. If a child refuses to eat anything but McDonald's, that doesn't make it the best food option for the child, and it's the same thing with animals. Sadly, a lot of low quality foods are crammed with sugars and fats that, as with human food of the kind, has almost no nutritional value but leaves them craving it. Dreamies, for example, contain high levels of sugars, while Royal Canin is sprayed with fats so the animals that eat it find it appealing, despite it's shocking ingredients.

The best wet foods for all cats will be brands you may well never have heard of. I'm probably boring people with it but Canagan and Cheshire Cat are two of the absolute best foods you can give cats. The wet foods are extremely high in meat (supermarket brands, practically without exception, contain no more than 4% meat. Cats are carnivores - the more meat, the better) and both are grain free. Cats should not have grains as part of their diet. It isn't something they would ever eat or have eaten in the wild. Cheshire Cat is also the only cat food I've come across that contains green lipped muscle, which aids joints.

However, there are a couple of vital things I have to make clear about them. The first is that they are more expensive at first glance, at approximately £1.19 a can for 75g, but that's because it's the best you can give them, and two a day is acceptable for an adult cat of average size/weight. 75g may not sound like a lot, as a lot of supermarket brands contain more, but cats are filled by nutrition, not portion size, so the 75g is a perfectly sufficient meal. If you supplement the wet food with dry food, Canagan biscuits or More biscuits will complement the wet Canagan or Cheshire Cat very nicely.

In ALL cases, when you change foods and especially when you're starting a better quality food, you have to go slowly. Cats have an enzyme in their tummies called pepsin, which is used to break down the meat content in their diet. If you feed them a low-meat diet, they produce less of it and a sudden change can cause some upset tummies for the cat, so I usually recommend starting with a quarter of the new food to three quarters of the old food, and increase gradually after a week, as long as the cat is taking to it well.

It's a lot of detail, I know, but please don't just take my word for this. By all means look up the ingredients in Canagan, More, Symply, Cheshire Cat, Applaws, Orijen, and compare them to the lower quality foods like Royal Canin, Gourmet, Sheba, Whiskas, etc. And remember that phrases like 'sugar from various sources' or 'oils from various sources' are usually hiding something.