Scenting indoors

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
dtmark
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Scenting indoors

Post by dtmark »

About 18 months ago we adopted three male cats. Two of them are about 5 years old now, we suspect they are brothers, and the other is aged about 7.

So the story goes - the eldest one - the one with the problem - lived with his brother with an elderly gentleman who passed away. All four cats (so, two pairs of unrelated brothers) were taken to Cats Protection for rehoming. We suspect by the family who took in the two older ones initially, and then elected to get rid of all four of them.

We know that the older one's brother, who was adopted first - we never got to see him - was returned because he urinated and sprayed indoors. As does the one that we have.

All three of the cats get on very well and appear in very good health. They're happy, they play and chase each other - what we really wanted. They can all be left alone. They live as a "close unit". They sleep together, they go everywhere together.

However the eldest one (the one pictured) has been scenting indoors for 18 months. Many things are basically ruined now. Carpet, sofa.. the smell can't be removed, we've tried everything. All new replacements required.

We knew this was happening, but were powerless to do much about it. If we stick kitchen towel to the walls/bookshelves/sofa, we come back to find it wet. It's not urine, but scent.

He won't normally do this in front of us. I've seen it a few times and shouting across the room causes him to stop immediately. This does suggest to me that he "knows it is wrong" but I may read too much into it.

I suspect he and his brother may well have always done this. It isn't related to him living with the other two now, his brother had history of this behaviour so I suspect the elderly gentleman's house may well have reeked of cat scent too.

This is a rural area and we do have a couple of strays about (I keep trying to see if I can befriend one and have it homed). Those may make him anxious. But I don't think it's just that. I think this is normal behaviour for him.

This is a rented house and we're going to have to spend money replacing carpets and repainting. But we are soon to move. And we know we're going to have to keep him segregated in a room with no soft furnishings. it is a shame, but we took him on, and we do love him. He's not going to be given up.

I really doubt that this behaviour can be changed but I thought I would ask to see if anyone can relate to this and if anything worked for you?
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Scenting indoors

Post by Alice »

I'm sorry I can't offer any useful advice, only lots of sympathy. I'm sure it must be difficult to break a longstanding habit. I'd suggest that you explain your situation in an email to the cat chat behaviourist and see what can be suggested. There's no charge for this.This is the email address....

[email protected]

Good luck and do let us know how you get on. There must be others on here who have a similar problem and would like to share any useful ideas for breaking the habit.
Last edited by Alice on Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Scenting indoors

Post by Kay »

have a look at Jackson Galaxy's site http://jacksongalaxy.com/catmojo301/

a search of 'spraying' may give you some ideas of how to solve this persistent problem