Need advice

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Graham1
New Cat Chatter

Need advice

Post by Graham1 »

I'm in a desperate situation I have 2 young cats 4 months old that need neutered. Problem is I can't get then in the carrier to take them to the vets. Last time I tried I was badly bitten and scratched so had to cancel the appointment. Desperate as what to do .
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Need advice

Post by Kay »

Jackson Galaxy tackled this problem only recently - leave the carriers out with the doors wedged open and feed the cats in the morning inside, putting the dishes right at the far end - gradually start partially closing the doors until the cats are completely confident about going inside

then bingo you put empty dishes inside on Neuter day and shut the doors on them - they'll have to travel to the vets with the bowls inside so best they are not breakable - stainless steel would perhaps be safest

might take a while but they are still young
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

I had this problem once with two feral toms who moved in and who I was NOT going to even try and touch ...

I left the carrier lying around ... then I began to feed nice little titbits of ham, tuna and such, right inside the carrier. Not long before the boys learned to associate carrier with treats ...

Until one morning, by prior arrangement with vet, each boy found himself on the way to losing his errm courting tackle.

They did forgive me.

As you have two at the same time, you probably need another carrier, but this is what worked for me.

I know you have to starve them before the op, but a teaspoonful of tuna's neither here nor there.

Good luck, and hopefully there'll be other suggestions too - please let us know how you go on :)

Kay we overlapped and it didn't warn me first! :)
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

Some cats can be put into the carrier if pushed backwards, so that they can't see where they're going. It worked fine with more than one cat before.
Also, you can wrap them into a blanket and push them into the carrier.
elastu
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by elastu »

I had this problem often when in rescue for over 20 years, found the easiest way was to put the carrier on its end so the door was facing up towards the ceiling (or sky if you are outside) :) and then put the little one in bum first. It never failed for me.