Indorex flea spray?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Indorex flea spray?

Post by Joanne_ »

Having a flea infestation and vet recomended indorex However i saw it has permethrin in it and i know its highly toxic to cats:/ so what to do?
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Indorex flea spray?

Post by alanc »

You have to make sure it is thoroughly dry before letting cats near surfaces that have been sprayed. I only ever do it when I am going away for several days and after Tilly has been sent to the cattery.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

I've used it without any problems - I've just kept the cats out of the rooms for a few hours after spraying.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I have onky used Flea spray twice. Once was in the early 90s, when I didn't have pets, but was being bitten by fleas left behind from a previous tenant's cat. The other time was when we bought this house 13 years ago - similar situation, where the house was infested by fleas left by the previous owner. Both times were 100% successful. I didn't know about Permethrin then, so didn't have the added worry of it being toxic. I followed the instructions of keeping the cats away from treated areas for however long it said and we didn't have any problems. This time of year it should be even easier, as you can keep cats away from treated area and then leaves doors, windows etc open for a while longer to be on the safe side. I'm sure it will be fine if you follow the instructions.
Last edited by MarkB on Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

I use it and just keep the cat out of the rooms for a couple of hours.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

I suspect I am over protective of Tilly!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Sorry, forgot to say in my previous post, that both times I used Indorex.

From what I understand, Indorex has some kind of growth inhibitor in it, that prevents eggs from hatching. Some flea sprays will kill live fleas, but don't prevent eggs from hatching, so you can end up with fleas again days or weeks down the line. I would imagine some other brands have caught up by now, but guess the cheaper ones would be a bit more basic.
LittlePenBigHeart
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by LittlePenBigHeart »

As the others have said, you need to make sure the cats are well away from the area for a few hours after use, and air the room well before letting them back in.

Just a few quick things to add:

Make sure you hoover before you spray the house and then leave the spray on the floors for AT LEAST A WEEK. This is really important because it won't kill very much if you hoover it up after a day or two. It needs to be down for long enough to get the fleas as they hatch.

Remember that Indorex, though very effective, is also toxic to humans. Try not to breathe it in as much as possible and always exercise caution around anyone who may suffer breathing problems.

If in doubt, the absolute best alternative, and the one I always recommend, is Wipe Out. It's completely non-toxic, making it safe to use even with your cats right next to it. It's silicone-based so it can make surfaces slippery BUT it's the only one I know of that kills the fleas in all life stages - the silicone seals the fleas in their eggs so they can't hatch, whereas others rely on the fleas hatching and THEN being exposed.

Lastly, I'm sure you already know this but we get a LOT of people in the pet shop who don't know - fleas live in the carpet and soft furnishings, not on the pet so you have to treat everywhere in the house, whether the cat has had access to everywhere or not, and you have to spray/wash on at least 60 degrees C all of the bedding, cushion covers, etc.

Fleas are a pain in the backside but once you've eradicated them from the home as much as you can, and the cats have been treated, it will at least be quite a while before they become a real problem again.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Make sure you hoover before you spray the house and then leave the spray on the floors for AT LEAST A WEEK. This is really important because it won't kill very much if you hoover it up after a day or two. It needs to be down for long enough to get the fleas as they hatch.
Yes, that is important. It is one of the reasons I usually do the spraying just before leaving the house to go on holiday and after Tilly is in the cattery. I normally remember to do the hoovering before I go and get her back! The stuff is supposed to remain potent for a year, so once you get into the routine this should keep the fleas under control. However, I realize this does not help Joanne with her current problem!
Lozzy88
New Cat Chatter

Post by Lozzy88 »

LittlePenBigHeart wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:02 pm As the others have said, you need to make sure the cats are well away from the area for a few hours after use, and air the room well before letting them back in.

Remember that Indorex, though very effective, is also toxic to humans. Try not to breathe it in as much as possible and always exercise caution around anyone who may suffer breathing problems.

If in doubt, the absolute best alternative, and the one I always recommend, is Wipe Out. It's completely non-toxic, making it safe to use even with your cats right next to it. It's silicone-based so it can make surfaces slippery BUT it's the only one I know of that kills the fleas in all life stages - the silicone seals the fleas in their eggs so they can't hatch, whereas others rely on the fleas hatching and THEN being exposed.

Lastly, I'm sure you already know this but we get a LOT of people in the pet shop who don't know - fleas live in the carpet and soft furnishings, not on the pet so you have to treat everywhere in the house, whether the cat has had access to everywhere or not, and you have to spray/wash on at least 60 degrees C all of the bedding, cushion covers, etc.

Fleas are a pain in the backside but once you've eradicated them from the home as much as you can, and the cats have been treated, it will at least be quite a while before they become a real problem again.
Thats rubbish, instructions clearly state hoover every days for 7 days as the vibrations will help unhatched pupae will hatch out and be killed by the Indorex you have used.
Lozzy88
New Cat Chatter

Post by Lozzy88 »

LittlePenBigHeart wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:02 pm As the others have said, you need to make sure the cats are well away from the area for a few hours after use, and air the room well before letting them back in.

Thats rubbish, instructions clearly state hoover every days for 7 days as the vibrations will help unhatched pupae will hatch out and be killed by the Indorex you have used.
Angelaw
New Cat Chatter

Post by Angelaw »

Although this is a reply to an old post I wanted to say that is is absolutely wrong that you should not hoover after using Indorex flea spray. The manufacturer's guidance (on the Virbac website) clearly states that it is vital to hoover for seven consecutive days after using the spray to catch the hatching eggs.