Bee sting!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Bee sting!

Post by vanilla »

Arrggh!!! I think my cat has been stung by a bee! He has a little swollen area on his face. I touched it and he immediately groomed himself.

Anyone else had their cat stung by a bee? What did you do??
LittlePenBigHeart
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Bee sting!

Post by LittlePenBigHeart »

Gizzy had a big lump under her chin last year and we took her to the vet. They said it looked as thought she'd eaten a bee!! And it had stung her inside the mouth. Ouch. :shock: They gave her an antibiotic injection to be on the safe side but essentially, there was nothing more they could do - it just had to heal on its own. I'd suggest a vet visit, just to be on the safe side, but it's not as horrible as it looks.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

I'm glad to hear that a bee sting, even in the mouth, can heal okay. Ria hunts insects, including bees, in the garden. I had visions of her getting stung in the tongue or throat and choking to death. I'll just hope that, if she does get stung, it's not in too sensitive a spot, and maybe then she'll learn to leave bees alone.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Purdy got stung on her face once - out of hours of course! We called the emergency vet (miles away!) He ran through a few things and basically said as long as her breathing wasn't affected she would be fine. He said if we were still concerned the following day, that we should take her to our own vet. He would only have been concerned if the sting was near her throat.

She was fine and still chases bees. :roll:
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

bobbys girl wrote:She was fine and still chases bees. :roll:
They don't learn, do they?! :lol:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Molly got a dragonfly the other day :shock:

Luckily it escaped but flew up into the cat netting; it was one of those huge golden brown ones and too big to get through the mesh, so I had to give it a hand. It wrapped its abdomen round the mesh, clung with its legs and whirred its wings ... eventually it flew free, after giving me a good nip to remember it by.

I'm only glad it didn't bite Molly; those guys are like helicopters with teeth. Well, jaws.

Hope your cat's recovering now, Vanilla :)
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

Kitty got stung by a bee a few years ago and I took her to the vets, where they gave her a jab of something and she was fine after a few hours. The swelling on her head went too.
Trish_Kitty
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Trish_Kitty »

I think you should take your cat to the vet because this can get bad if it gets infected.
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vanilla »

I spoke to another friend whose cat got stung ages ago. She took him to the vet and they didn't do anything. Swelling seems to be going down slowly. He's okay in himself so I'll skip the vet but keep an eye on him for a few days.

Thank you all for your experiences! So worried when I saw his little face this morning!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I know what you mean. Purdy is a skinny little cat but after the bee sting she looked like a hamster with a full cheek pouch! :shock: Not a good look. Took about 5 days to vanish.
LittlePenBigHeart
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by LittlePenBigHeart »

MarySkater wrote:I'm glad to hear that a bee sting, even in the mouth, can heal okay. Ria hunts insects, including bees, in the garden. I had visions of her getting stung in the tongue or throat and choking to death. I'll just hope that, if she does get stung, it's not in too sensitive a spot, and maybe then she'll learn to leave bees alone.
I had the same exact visions of my cats, and it still frightens me when they go chasing bees and wasps and everything. You're right - they don't learn!!